Modern Stoicism Ltd.is creating Stoic philosophy resources for modern living (non-profit)
Select a membership level
Everything from the preceding tiers plus exclusive access to answers from our Panel of Experts in response to different questions about Stoicism each month.
Everything from the preceding tiers plus exclusive access to video and audio recordings with members of our Panel of Experts providing in depth answers to questions about Stoicism.
Stoicism is an ancient Greek school of philosophy, which has experienced a phenomenal resurgence in popularity in recent decades. The ancient Stoics were the great grandparents of the self-help movement and the original inspiration for modern cognitive-behavioural psychotherapy. We think it is important for every person today to master the basics of this philosophy that has for centuries held the key to a good, happy life.
The Roman emperor, and Stoic philosopher, Marcus Aurelius stated:
Waste no more time debating what a good man should be, just be one. – Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, 10.16The timeless wisdom of ancient Stoic philosophy has become the basis of a modern movement that aims to help people cope with the emotional stresses of modern living by building greater psychological resilience and developing a stronger sense of direction in life.
What we bring:
Do not wish for events to turn out as you desire but rather wish for them to happen as they do and your life will go smoothly. – Epictetus, Handbook, 8By becoming a patron of the Modern Stoicism organization, you help us to continue our research and publishing work as a non-profit. Patrons will also benefit from exclusive content provided by our Panel of Experts on Stoicism, which currently includes:
- Donald Robertson, author of Stoicism and the Art of Happiness and How to Think Like a Roman Emperor: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius
- Prof. Massimo Pigliucci, author of How to be a Stoic and co-author of A Handbook for New Stoics
- Gregory Lopez, co-author of A Handbook for New Stoics
- Prof. Christopher Gill, author of Naturalistic Psychology in Galen, The Structured Self in Hellenistic and Roman Thought and Marcus Aurelius: Meditations Books 1-6.
- Dr. Piotr Stankiewicz, author of Does Happiness Write Blank Pages? on Stoicism and Artistic Creativity
- Dr. Greg Sadler, That Philosophy Guy on YouTube
- Prof. Chuck Chakrapani, author of Unshakable Freedom: Ancient Stoic Secrets Applied to Modern Life
- Tim LeBon, author of Teach Yourself Positive Psychology
What we doModern Stoicism Ltd. is a non-profit limited company, registered in the UK (10950027), run by a multi-disciplinary team of volunteers. Our main activities include:
- The annual Stoic Week online course, in which 7,000 people participated last year.
- The Stoic Mindfulness and Resilience Training (SMRT) research project, testing the effectiveness of training in core Stoic psychological strategies, in which thousands of people have participated around the world.
- The Stoic Attitudes and Behaviours Scale (SABS) research project, which gathers and analyzes data on Stoic questionnaires in order to make comparisons with established psychological measures.
- The Stoicism Today blog, edited by Greg Sadler, which contains over 500 articles on Stoicism from people all over the world, applying Stoic principles in different walks of life.
- The annual Stoicon conference on Stoicism in modern life, which took place in Toronto last year, attended by four hundred people from around the world, and is an opportunity for people engaged in Stoicism as a way of life to hear from leading academics in the field.
- The annual Stoicon-x mini-conferences, which take place around the world each year, giving newer speakers an opportunity to discuss Stoicism with a wider audience.
- Publishing books containing articles from our contributors as well as detailed online reports explaining our research findings.
Modern Stoicism started under the name “Stoicism Today” with a workshop at the University of Exeter, U.K., in early October 2012 which explored the applications of Stoic philosophy for the modern day. We then formed as a team of seven academics and psychotherapists working together to explore what the ancient philosophy as a way of life, Stoicism, still has to offer today. Over the years, our team has included some of the leading authors in the field of Stoicism. Visit the Modern Stoicism website for more information and resources.