My name is Blake Davis, also known as Karui Kage or Nethys, depending on where you’re looking. I’ve been involved with the games industry for over a decade now in some form or fashion, and often work on projects related to the Pathfinder RPG or my newer Let’s Play channel, Dungeons & Desktops.
This Patreon was created as a means to support the two larger projects I spend time on. The aforementioned Let’s Play channel is one of them. The other is my website, the Archives of Nethys, a massive compilation of Pathfinder RPG mechanics and crunch.
I’ve always enjoyed making things for the community, and I’ve never been inclined to charge for them. I love it when people create amazing things and share them with the rest of us, and felt like I should return the favor whenever I could. The website and LP are the largest examples, but I’ve also been involved in plenty of supplementary materials for the Pathfinder RPG and some other game systems.
If you like any of the projects I put my time into, then this Patreon is a way to show your appreciation. Contribute however much you want, whether it be $5 a month or $20. Stop or start your support at any point. In part because of restrictions involved with Pathfinder’s Community Use Policy, I can’t make any promises about what will come from contributing or provisions only to those who show support. Really, all I can do is tell you that I will continue to do as much as I can for the gaming community. If you ever feel like that is not enough anymore, then I fully support you stopping any donations.
Patreon is an incredible system in that the amount of support you show me is entirely dependent on you, and it can begin or end at your whim. That said, while I don’t ever expect things to get this high, I do have some ideas on what I’d like to do if this Patreon ended up pulling down certain amounts.
$70/month: The major restriction in my doing more with my projects is the need for a regular job. I work around it as best I can, but without hitting a certain threshold, that is always going to be a factor. At this level I would be putting the money back into all the projects I did the best way I could. The website would get an increase in support, a dedicated server, potentially a public API for accessing the database. The Let’s Play channel would get an increase in quality equipment and footage.
$3,500/month: If I ever hit this threshold and was able to maintain it for 2-3 months, then I would begin doing this work full time. I have a *lot* of ideas on additional side projects I would like to do, that can only really be done if I had all of my time to do them. I’ve listed some of them below as ideas on what I would start doing if I was able to really focus myself. If it ever seems like we're getting close to this amount, then I'll start prioritizing the below items (plus any others that are thought of between now and then) so those contributing will know more about what to expect.
Archives of Nethys
- Work on a publicly accessible API. All of the data that the Archives uses is stored in SQL, and providing a public API would allow other users to access the data in an efficient fashion for whatever projects they had in mind. Faster searches, larger queries, and more have the potential.
- Add more actual Rules content. At the moment, the Archives has mechanics, but not really the rules on using them. The PRD (Paizo’s official website) has all of those. Given the time, I would add these rules onto the site in a fashion that allowed users to find them quickly and efficiently.
- Factions, Character Builds, other useful content: There are a lot of other things that the Archives could track that I currently don’t right now. I’d love to add more features for the website and make it into a true one-stop location for everything Pathfinder. Being able to work on it full time would see new items being added on a weekly basis.
- Connectivity with MapTools and/or Roll20: This ties into the idea of a public API, but the ability to script a lot of the Monsters I have stored so their information can quickly go into a MapTool Token is a possibility I’d like to look into.
Other Pathfinder RPG Content
- More Tools: A comprehensive tool for managing summons, including all the feats that tie into them. A quick creation tool for building eidolons or constructing other monsters. These are things that exist in some downloadable tools like Hero Lab, but the goal here would be to put them onto the web in a convenient location for free.
- Character Storage and Display: I haven’t yet seen a heavily-used and consistent way of displaying your character to someone else beyond the old days in Pen and Paper. I would love to engineer a new database to store whatever character data put into it, with convenient hyperlinks back to all mechanics at the Archives.
- Conversions: A long time ago I did a Legacy to Fire AP conversion back before the Pathfinder RPG was officially out. The popularity of the recent Rise of the Runelords conversion was pretty large, and I would love to go back and convert the other three APs, or even some older material from the 3.5 days (like Age of Worms).
Let’s Play Related Activities
- More Content: Right now the channel puts out 1 video a day, sometimes more if we have a large enough backlog. I could see this easily expanding to 2-3 videos a day if we had the time.
- Different Reviews: Kat and I would love to do "Let's Play" style videos for board games and tabletop RPGs, but that takes a bit more in the way of cameras and sound equipment. With a full time avenue, this becomes a higher possibility.