Who am I?I am the creator behind nixCraft ( https://www.cyberciti.biz/), a site that helps new and seasoned Linux and Unix sysadmins who want to make the most of the sysadmin-hood.
Okay why I am starting a Patreon account:nixCraft is a single man indie operation and online since 2002. I am a seasoned sysadmin and a trainer for the Linux operating system/Unix shell scripting. I had started this site for sharing my knowledge and documenting my experience as a sysadmin. Over last 15 years site grown a lot. I was able to fund nixCraft for a while with my job and savings.
Now we are in 2017. I have written over 5100+ tutorials and long blog posts. Apart from posts, I regularly reply tech support emails and moderate comments. nixCraft has become a 40+ hour/week job for me. I want to nixCraft to grown more for a long time. Create more content and may be video tutorials too. I am obsessed with writing and helping others to learn Linux and open source software. I believe nixCraft should continue for a long time.
For a long time, we used ads on the site. However, many of our readers block ads. As a result, I am unable to cover bandwidth, hosting, and other costs. I do not want to prevent readers with an ad blocker accessing nixCraft with nagware or begware. It is your personal right to use adblockers. So I need your help. The way Patreon works is a fan or reader can donate whatever they want per month, and the donation is recurring each month after that. So anything, from $1/month up, is hugely helpful to the situation.
What I will use the money for:
- Hosting - I need a good hosting server plan to support all traffic get at nixCraft.
- Internet and CDN Bandwidth - I need a robust CDN for serving static content faster with SSL enabled option. This also includes my home office ADSL2 and 4G LTE bandwidth.
- DNS hosting - I need a stable DNS hosting.
- Email hosting/routing – I need a stable email hosting to send out email newsletters.
- Me - I need to continue to eat food and support nixCraft operation. 40+ hours is taking out too much time. Apart from food and rent, I need to pay for insulin and other diabetic medicine too. Even though my needs are minimal, I need to help myself too.
Thanks for any help you can offer if you decide to, and thanks for being a reader!