I'm Paul Johnson, known by the nickname “OtaKing” around some parts, and I'm a 2D animator best known for a certain Star Wars fan animation.
A lot of people miss the late 80s/early 90s "golden age" of Japanese animation, and want to see ultra detail, shading and production values make a comeback. Sadly, those days seem to be long gone, and so I'm trying on my own to resurrect that glorious era.
Some of my past works include:
RETRO ARCADE ANIME: R-TYPE (2018) - Animator, character/background artist
100 Days of Warframe (2016) (for MASHED on Youtube) – Animator, character/background artist
R-Type (2016) (for MASHED on Youtube) – Animator, character/background artist, writer
Prisoner Zero (2016) (with Planet 55 for ABC Australia) (26 episodes) – Animator, character/spacecraft designer, background artist
TIE Fighter (2015) (independent fan film) – Animator, character/background artist, writer
Doctor Who: The Moonbase (2014) (with Planet 55 for BBC/2entertain) – lead 2D animator, character/background artist
Doctor Who: The Reign of Terror (2013 ) (with Planet 55 for BBC/2entertain) – lead 2D animator, character/background artist
Doctor Who: The Tenth Planet (2013) (with Planet 55 for BBC/2entertain) – lead 2D animator, character/background artist
I used to snatch a few spare hours between day jobs, taking four years to make each film. A pledge no matter what size will result in faster and higher quality films. Not only will animations be updated multiple times a month, this includes more fluidly animated scenes with full voice acting, pro-tier soundtracks and music mixing, ranging from retro arcade eye candy to fan animations and full-length original films. Plus a steady diet of ham sandwiches to keep me going, of course!
I'm a one-man animator, and work frame by frame. Like in traditional old 2D animation, each frame has to be individually drawn (no re-using figures like in Flash animation) so, as you can imagine, it takes some patience. Even a three-minute film needs to be roughed, inked, coloured, shaded and detailed. The production time also varies depending on the level of sound mixing and post edits.
So how do you know I'm not just taking your money and spending it on fast cars and fancy hats?
I post various updates here on Patreon and livestream scenes as they come together on my Twitch page. Join me for comfy all-night animating and ask me anything about how to get started as an animator, what programs I recommend and which space battle anime has the dankest explosions. You'll get all the evidence you need to see that I'm making good on my promises.
Supporters automatically receive a special thanks with their names featured in the credits. Tiers also include updates on work in progress animation clips, resource material used in special shots and all the PSDs for backgrounds, characters and mechanical designs. If you want a real piece of the action, you can also opt for a personally signed copy of each script, early VIP viewings of all animated material and a full HD 1080p copy with personal commentary by me. Do you want my voice narrating how this stuff goes from sketchy stick figures to fully-coloured characters with effects? You can have it if you so choose!
Plus the sweet satisfaction that I'll buy you a drink at a convention if I see you.
Take a look at some of my completed works at:
Deviantart (2D art gallery)
Twitter (latest updates and work in progress clips)
My current project is a 20 minute fan film based on the Street Fighter videogame series, in a similar visual vein to the 1994 animated movie:
As with my previous projects, this will be painstakingly researched (each punch and combo will be game-accurate) and detailed to the source material, but also feature an added gritty “no plot armor” angle which raises the stakes and makes the glorious villain of M. Bison more dangerous than ever, as classic cast members Guile and Cammy (with plenty of armed backup) team up with new fan favourite Juri to kill gaming's most iconic end boss.
It will essentially be an exercise in over-the-top fight animation where I see just how much scenery I can destroy.
- The list of Patron names on the credits will be arranged alphabetically, with special thanks.
- Money received will be used for living expenses such as rent, food, cat maintenance, internet, etc.
- I may use this for hiring people to help with production, voice acting and music, etc.
- I may occasionally use this to update my hardware/software as it wears out or becomes obsolete. This will mainly apply to external hard drives, graphics tablet, video editing/image/animation software licensing.
- If one billion dollars is raised, I may purchase an island in the Bahamas.
- I will always tell you upfront if I personally know or am friends with someone I'm talking about or whose work I'm recommending (on, say, a livestream or in a link or somesuch).
- The files and loot I'll be handing out (PSD files, TVPaint animation files, rough gif files etc) will be distributed here through Patron. If files are too big for that, I'll upload to Mega, Google Drive, etc and post the private links.
We're all in this for the animation so don't worry;
As the great band Manowar once said, “If you like metal you're my friend.”
- Donations are helpful anytime! Paypal (or just say hello) at [email protected]