I was silent for quite a long time. Two and a half months passed since my last post and I have good news.
- Yii 2.0.14 was released and it's big on features. We checked more than 300 issues either solving them right away or moving them. It is last 2.0 release with features. Bug fixes only in 2.0.x from now on and all focus on 2.1. Read release notes for detailed review. It is a good read.
- Auth Client 2.1.5
- MongoDB 2.1.5
- Sphinx 2.0.10
- HTTP Client 2.0.6
- Bootstrap 2.0.8
More work in progress
- There will be another Yii 1.1 release fixing PHP 7.2 compatibility. Not sure when we'll tag it but changes are the following so far: https://github.com/yiisoft/yii/blob/master/CHANGELOG. It doesn't take much time since mostly it's taking care of by community members still using it.
- Trello board was sorted and some things were decided on. You may check it and suggest ideas.
- There's significant growth happening in Slack. 676 users so far and it's getting busy. I love the overall level of discussion there. Well, with some exceptions, of course, but newbies are fine. I was there once as well.
- Yii project at Github is getting starred more and more. We've reached 11563 stars.
- 360 projects added to YiiPowered so far. There very interesting ones, I can say.
- YiiPowered will notify project owner about new comments via email now.
- YiiFeed got API thanks to @prodex: http://yiifeed.com/api/docs
- Other communities are growing as well.
- Awesome list was updated.
- My framework-independent Sitemap library was updated by Bodo Graumannwith and now has an ability to limit file size per sitemap part.
- Yii DI container got support for Service Providers.
Is Yii still relevant?
Interesting discussion popped up at reddit. Was quite warming to read all that since OpenSoruce rarely gets anything but hard and harsh criticism.
Life, work and findings from the Internet
- DigitalOcean that hosts lots of my projects on 5$ droplets made a gift of upgrading these so there's 1GB memory now after resize. If you want to try it, please use my special link. It will give first timers 10$ and I'll get some free processing time as well.
- I'm reading Quora from time to time, especially answers about programming philosophy and Russia. Sometimes it's asked me to answer so I did and recently found out that I've answered 58 questions. Some are about Yii and frameworks in general so it could be an interesting read.
- Stubled upon https://returntrue.win/. It's a PHP-code game. There's a function defined. In order to win you should pass an argument so it returns true. "Score" indicates how many characters was the argument. Less is better.
- My brand new Ryzen CPU went crazy. Con: spent time on finding out what's wrong. Pro: I know how modern CPUs work now 😃
- Working at Skyeng now. Leading one of developer teams. I did something similar at CleverTech but it was years ago, even before Stay.com and the company was smaller than Skyeng is now. While it's quite exhausting, with lots of communication, discussions and calls, it's also cool to work on a different stack and in different style. Getting interesting experience that would definitely help to move Yii forward.