Apple Podcasts • Stitcher • Spotify
Join our Facebook Discussion Group
David Krantz is a personal nutrition and genetics coach, sound therapy technician, and electronic music producer based in Asheville, NC.
This week we chat about genetics – specifically how different gene variations in people affect the way we experience cannabis. We’re coming up on a revolution in biotech and agriculture that will soon make it a possibility to grow gene-tailored strains of cannabis to suit YOUR DNA specifically…until then, though, here is your primer on how to dance with Mary Jane in ways that work WITH, not AGAINST, you.
(David is a repeat guest from Future Fossils Episode 0010, when he chatted with us about the future of electronic music, plant intelligence, and tripping with cats and modular synthesizers. Be sure to check that one out also!)
• CYP2C9 - a liver enzyme that breaks down THC - and how the amount your body produces will determine how high you get from edibles, your ability to pass a drug screening, etc.
• How learning about our genetic differences helps us develop tolerance and acceptance of each other’s very different needs and bodies
• COMT, a gene responsible for dopamine breakdown, and how which variant of this gene you possess determines cannabis-induced memory loss and alteration of time perception
• ATK1, a gene whose variants determine how “psychotomimetic” (ie, trippy) your response to cannabis will be, and whether or not it will exacerbate schizophrenic symptoms
• How it is, and isn’t, helpful for the law to regard cannabis primarily as a medicine
• APOE, a gene that heavily influences Alzheimer’s Disease, not in isolation but depending on whether or not you eat a lot of saturated fats or exercise
• How we must revolutionize education and accreditation in an age of digital learning, so that we can deploy as much healing intelligence as possible
• Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms, or SNPs, and how these one-letter changes in a gene can make a huge difference
• David’s critique of cannabis studies that DON’T break down research subject populations down into genetic subgroups, and reveal the researchers’ biases
• The need for “cultural interoperability” in our discussions about cannabis research, “across the aisle” between scientists for and against its legalization
• AND Coffee and Chaga mushrooms and more – enacting complex mutually supportive benefits
• Which gene tests David likes best, and best practices for privacy with your genetic data
• The future of genomic science’s influence on cannabis horticulture and use
“There are probably some people that shouldn’t smoke weed.”
“I feel very qualified to help the people that I’m helping, and having the red tape of, ‘You have to be a medical professional or you can’t talk about this stuff at all,’ doesn’t make sense for where we’re going – because I can listen to 2000 hours of podcasts, like I did when I was working at Moog, and feel like I’ve really upped my understanding of some things. Maybe that can help other people besides myself.”
“I’ve become increasingly self-aware of the way I feel about people who disagree with me…”
“There’s no such thing as the perfect human diet.”
Kerri Welch on dopamine and time perception
Pledge $0 or more per month
Pledge $0.01 or more per month
Tons of Exclusive Extras
• A shout-out on the podcast and your name in the acknowledgements of major projects.
• A big hug when we meet in person!
+ Coloring Book + New Music + More
• Every new coloring book page that I create, both PDF and PSD formats so you can print your own or color on a tablet
• ALL of the new music, audiobooks, and Ableton Live devices I release!
• ePub/PDF of my upcoming book, How To Live in the Future (when it is finished – meanwhile, I will post new chapters here first)
• 10% off art prints and original paintings from michaelgarfieldart.com (contact me for your discount code)
+ Patrons-Only Episodes + Original Art
• Exclusive Future Fossils Podcast episodes!
• Early access to special episodes months before publication!
• A unique digital sketch created for and emailed to you.
• 20% off art prints and original paintings from michaelgarfieldart.com (contact me for your discount code)
+ Guestlist + Art Prints + Influence
• Free admission (plus a guest) to Future Fossils Live events in your city!
• Up to SIX signed poster prints from michaelgarfieldart.com, for you or mailed as gifts to anyone, for every year of your support.
• Request specific guests for Future Fossils Podcast and I'll do everything I can to make it happen!
+ One-on-One Video Calls
• One recorded 60-minute video call a month where I'm yours to discuss whatever you like – professional consulting, or creative coaching, or casual conversation. If you'd like to learn more about blockchain and decentralization, want regular help from someone with over a decade of writing/editing experience, would like private art lessons, or just want my feedback on your "crazy" ideas (I don't think much is crazy), I'm yours for an hour every month. And I'll email you the recording of our private session so you can go back over everything we talked about...
+ Become A Featured Sponsor
• 40-second ads for your brand, project, or desired charity on every episode of Future Fossils Podcast (four or more each month).
• Featured listings in the liner notes of my new audio releases.
• Banner ads for you or your company in my blog and email newsletter (currently ~8500 subscribers).
If you would like more details on this partnership (or something like it), email me at [email protected]