Join our Facebook Discussion Group!
This week we chat with the philosopher and sociologist John Danaher about the book Robot Sex: Social & Ethical Implications, a fascinating collection of academic articles on our sexbot future he just co-edited with Neil McArthur. (John also runs the blog Philosophical Disquisitions, which has been an awesome resource for deep thinking online for over a decade.)
Chances are good you’ve seen the “Don’t Date Robots!” public service announcement from the cartoon Futurama, and probably Björk’s “All Is Full of Love” music video. Maybe you’ve seen Her or Ex Machina or Spielberg’s AI. And let’s not forget the Femmebots in Austin Powers. But does any of this media, for or against, paint a realistic portrait of the impact of machines on human intimacy?
In this episode, John and I talk about:
• “The cognitive niche” and what separates human beings from other species and (maybe) AI
• How would a world of sexbots change dating and marriage?
• The de-coupling of sex for intimacy and companionship and sex for reproduction
• …and how sexbots might actually bring us BACK to a more naïve or primitive state in which we don’t regard sex and fertility as primarily associated
• What happens if we can hack the brain to make anything an erogenous zone?
• The radiating diversity of sexual strategies as we move into crazier transhuman terrain…
• The breakdown of heteronormative society and the emergence of LGBTQ sexbots
• Will sexbots make human sexwork more or less desirable?
• Can sexbots help sexual deviants channel their socially unacceptable urges into more acceptable behaviors?
• What about LOVING robots? Can we ever be convinced the love is mutual?
• Is the question of robot free will moot because we don’t even have free will??
• Is our dismissal of robot consciousness just like the earlier forms of dismissal of personhood in racism and sexism and speciesism?
• Is robot sex a red herring?
• Loving AI would not be compatible or sensible with the goals of transhumanists, who want perfect control over their environment…
• And more!
“As soon as we’ve been making things, we’ve been making things for sexual reasons. You can pretty much trace this throughout history: we get the first mechanical vibrators at pretty much the same time as the Industrial Revolution…the technology of sex has always gone hand in hand with other developments in technology.”
“All the doubts and skepticism you could have about a relationship with a sufficiently sophisticated robot…you could have all the same metaphysical doubts and worries about a human partner.”
STAY TUNED for next week's episode with media theorist Douglas Rushkoff and Michael Phillip of Third Eye Drops Podcast!
Pledge $0 or more per month
Pledge $0.01 or more per month
Tons of Exclusive Extras
• A shout-out on the podcast and your name in the acknowledgements of major projects.
• A big hug when we meet in person!
+ Coloring Book + New Music + More
• Every new coloring book page that I create, both PDF and PSD formats so you can print your own or color on a tablet
• ALL of the new music, audiobooks, and Ableton Live devices I release!
• ePub/PDF of my upcoming book, How To Live in the Future (when it is finished – meanwhile, I will post new chapters here first)
• 10% off art prints and original paintings from michaelgarfieldart.com (contact me for your discount code)
+ Patrons-Only Episodes + Original Art
• Exclusive Future Fossils Podcast episodes!
• Early access to special episodes months before publication!
• A unique digital sketch created for and emailed to you.
• 20% off art prints and original paintings from michaelgarfieldart.com (contact me for your discount code)
+ Guestlist + Art Prints + Influence
• Free admission (plus a guest) to Future Fossils Live events in your city!
• Up to SIX signed poster prints from michaelgarfieldart.com, for you or mailed as gifts to anyone, for every year of your support.
• Request specific guests for Future Fossils Podcast and I'll do everything I can to make it happen!
+ One-on-One Video Calls
• One recorded 60-minute video call a month where I'm yours to discuss whatever you like – professional consulting, or creative coaching, or casual conversation. If you'd like to learn more about blockchain and decentralization, want regular help from someone with over a decade of writing/editing experience, would like private art lessons, or just want my feedback on your "crazy" ideas (I don't think much is crazy), I'm yours for an hour every month. And I'll email you the recording of our private session so you can go back over everything we talked about...
+ Become A Featured Sponsor
• 40-second ads for your brand, project, or desired charity on every episode of Future Fossils Podcast (four or more each month).
• Featured listings in the liner notes of my new audio releases.
• Banner ads for you or your company in my blog and email newsletter (currently ~8500 subscribers).
If you would like more details on this partnership (or something like it), email me at [email protected]