I'd spent so much of my time on the middle panel, and had to force myself through to finishing the other panels on the first page. Most of the bottom panels were done, and it was just a matter of drawing the character running out the door in the (middle bottom panel) as well as the background. I ended up filling in the bottom right panel with a black background (see below) and then after doing that, I wanted to balance the black on the page, so I did a silhouette on the fist panel. (I will honestly use silhouettes given the slightest provocation. They save so much time when you're drawing!)
I spent WAY too much time yesterday drawing the panel in the upper right hand corner. Below you can see a close up of what I did with it. Each of the three upper panels has more and more frogs, until I lost count with the upper right panel.
(Twelve. I just counted them, and there are twelve frogs. Mind you, it's the one you *don't* see that gets you!)
I then called it done, posted the page to the website, and started working on the facing page. I'd already drawn the middle panel, with Sgt. Smythe's face really big, so I started with the detail heavy bottom panel.
I knew that I wanted to have it sort of separated from the other panels, without a border, but I hated the way the last scene of the Pangean Book store came out, where I tried cross hatching:
(Ugh, so awful!)
So I tried instead to go as "border-less" as possible:
I had to put in a thin border for the night sky, or else I would have either flooded the page with black ink (not a bad idea, now that I think about it, but then I'd have to go back and retroactively flood all the pages with black ink to make the whole scene cohesive. I try to keep the page boarders similar in style for each mini-chapter.)
I did a little bit of copy-and-paste with the car wreckage, but I think I was subtle enough with it that it doesn't stand out. then I drew in boxes for the other stores and their windows, and moved on to penciling the upper panel, with the three survivors:
I'll be finishing the upper panel today. It'll be an interesting challenge to blend both details and heavy shadows (to help balance out the bottom panel) - we'll see later if I succeed!