I have always been one to avoid cliches, but in the case of this particular "year in review" for this particular artist person whose work has been supported by your particular generosity this year, I can't help but to look back and swell with gratitude.
The type of work I make costs a lot of money: musical and recording gear, rehearsal space, media hosting, venue rentals, musicians, computers, travel... you get the idea. For years I have been trying to come up with a way to invite people who believe in my work to contribute to its creation.
First, I created a Kristin Hersh inspired "Inner Tribe" that allowed folks to contribute monthly via PayPal which granted them access to password protected posts on my website. But, it was rather unwieldy to maintain and I really wasn't creating much work then anyway, aside from the podcast, so it sort of fizzled.
I did my first ever Kickstarter project after that for the Tentative Armor book and album, which was wildly successful, but still didn't provide a way to support my ongoing work. After a mildly successful run on Drip subscription service, I moved over here to Patreon, and I am so happy to have found a groove here with all of you and this fantastic platform.Your support this year enabled me to:
- Create a limited edition zine with an accompanying piece of music, Glorious. A fantastic collaboration with luke kurtis of bd-studios.com
- Embark on my first ever tour, performing The Animal Show in Houston, Los Angeles, Berkeley, Portland, New York City, and Philadelphia.
- Spend a significant amount of time volunteering and documenting at five different animal sanctuaries during the tour.
- Incorporate video and photographs into my work thanks the the purchase of a new DSLR and other gear.
- Performed at the first ever Compassion Arts Festival in NYC.
- Publish 23 podcasts, 13 YouTube videos and 793 photographs.
- Present a three-day workshop at Moogfest 2017 with Senator Jaiz.
- Attend countless protests and participate in other forms of activism for animals.
- Write the score for a short film in 48 hours.
- Write the score for a documentary about Kaporos by Unparalleled Suffering.
#NoHyperbole, this has been my most creatively successful year to date and I couldn't have done it without you. Your gracious support financially matters. Even more, knowing there is a crew of you here that simply believe in what I am doing gets me through more self-doubt, existential angst, and just good ol' fear of the unknown than I can even begin to express here.
In the new year I will be doing more performing, publishing a book and album for The Animal Show, digging deeper into video production, and refocussing and energizing the podcast. Every step will be powered by you and this energy we are creating together. Thank you and happy new year!
p.s. I would be remiss if I failed to mention the folks at A Well Fed World who contributed tremendously to my work this year, and the many people who contributed outside of patreon -- cash, a couch, a bed, a cabin, a meal, a tank of gas.... thank you.
p.s.s. Newer $5+ patrons and other finacial contributors, let me know if you want a copy of the zine. The numbered and signed ones are all gone, but I can send you a copy if you are new and didn't get one. Let me know! Patrons can always download the digital version here.