The more people I meet are deciding to get a pet instead of having kids. There has been published articles on this subject also. There are many reasons that this could be happening.
Some company surveys show it is because the cost of having a kid and raising a kid. I think back when I was a kid my parents never paid for Child care. Now today most couples have so much debt and expenses by living beyond there incomes that they both have to work to pay the bills so that means they need to also pay for Child care. Child care in Chicago for instance could be $2,600 a month or more for two young kids. That’s crazy. Plus, who is raising your kids the Child care provider or you?
Some people say because of there long work hours they don’t have time for kids. Which is a good point. In the past a normal work week was like 40 hours a week and you were home at a good time. Now you may leave at 6am in the morning and get home at 7pm at night. Not much time for family.
I have met many people who have gone through divorce and had parent alienation. I have a “Time” magazine that talks about all the bad things kids face in their whole life when coming from a family of divorce. So, if you believe in divorce maybe get a pet. Read my book on divorce and I have another updated book on divorce with kids. Pets will normally always love you even through a divorce. Read below for me info on divorce.
Pet’s can stay home alone when young. Pet’s give love to you when they see you almost always. Pets are cheaper then kids. Pet’s don’t get swayed by another parent not to love you. Pet’s don’t have conditional love over money. Pet’s are cheaper to own and the list could go on. Pet’s don’t get swayed by money to love one parent more.
Here is my thoughts and examples:
- Kids are fun until they become teenagers and then they can drive you crazy. Once they get out of the house you may never see them again unless they need money.
- Kids can cost a lot to be born but Pets you can get for free sometimes.
- Pets welcome you home but kids may not even say Hi to you.
- Pets are cheaper to feed then kids. We have two boys and they eat a ton of food. We spent last month over $900 on food.
- Parent alienation can happen with kids but with pets it is much harder. This happened to me. I can tell you many stories and I will in one of my upcoming books on divorce.
- Pets spend time with you but kids after they turn teenagers hardly spend time with you unless it is time to eat. Our boys we only see an hour or two a day.
- Medical costs per year can be much cheaper for a pet then kids.
- Pets don’t want to drive a car or motorcycle. Kids car insurance can be like $2,400 per year not counting the cost of maintaining a car.
- Pet’s normally don’t have yearly school cost like kids do. The older the kids get the more costly school becomes. Last year we spent over $1,000 on a public High School expenses. I thought Public school was free. LOL
- When a dog is old, they still want to see you and spend time with you normally. Some Kids are selfish and forget their kids once they don’t need there money anymore. I have talked to many parents that have had this happen to them.
- Pets are happy with a chew toy where the older the kids get the more expensive the gifts are, they want. Like our 13-year-old Xbox set up with headset was over $400 not counting Xbox Gold membership that is yearly, games cost and internet cost monthly of $97.99. A dog would be much cheaper. LOL
- Pet’s don’t think you are a bad parent where kids think they know it all and can think they know what a good parent is.
- With work demands pets don’t need as much of your time that kids do to be successful and healthy someday.
The fun things of kids;
- Playing with them.
- Hugs and Kisses.
- Watching them grow up and be successful.
- When they have kids so you can spoil their Grandkids.
- Any many more I am sure.
I have heard of people having kids to try to save a marriage, that is plain wrong. I have heard of people having kids with multiple men for the money they will get from each man, that is plan wrong. I have heard of people having kids to receive more benefits from the government, that is plain wrong.
Then there is Divorce. This is a book I have written and a new one in the works on this subject. But bottom line if a spouse cheats on the other spouse they should lose all parental rights to there kids. What are they teaching their kids about right or wrong? They broke the commandment on cheating. If a Parent is selfish and wants a Divorce because they don’t have the perfect spouse then they should lose all parental rights to the kids. My ex cheated on me, said I wasn’t worldly enough, picky eater, not educated enough, no hobbies and more. Wow… So, bottom line think before you have kids and will you always be there for them, educate them to be successful in life, give them your time, not let someone else raise them, not divorce your spouse ever and take them to church? If yeas to all these then maybe you should have kids but if not then maybe think of a pet.
Also, are you financially stable enough to have kids? Is your job stable for the long run? Are you continually getting more education to make yourself in demand for the future? If not, maybe you should get a pet instead.
I grew up with labs. I had labs in my adult years. They were protective, good with kids, and always loving. Low cost pets and fun. Think of a lab if not having a kid.
Here is a positive quote I like; “Remind yourself daily that there is no way to happiness; rather, happiness is the way.” ― Wayne W. Dyer, Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao
Let me know your thoughts about this blog and let me know of others you would like me to do in the future. I feel we can all learn from each other. That is why I am in the helping people retire early, enjoy life more and be more successful. Also, please see my Disclaimer page.
Don’t give up on your dreams; don’t let others talk you out of your dreams. Make your dreams happen. Make it happen today.
Let me know your thoughts or ideas.