I put out many hours of free content every month, please do pay for the podcasts you love, including this one. The podcast will always be free, but pay for it to support it by signing up for my Patreon today.
PATRONS GET ACCESS TO THE FULL YOUTUBE VERSION HERE
Before I met with radical political journalists Abby Martin and Mike Prysner, I kept thinking, how is it that they seem to have the right approach every time? So I decided to investigate just how it was they had an ethical and moral approach to politics.
We identify 5 points, which come up organically (If you just want to skip past the rest, go to 1:01:30.), and we reevaluate them the end. We also talk about how to develop these faculties These 5 points are:
1. Have a big container.
2. Find your lines in the sand, and beyond that, seek organizability.
3. Ask if a worthwhile narrative is being presented.
4. Do the dual work of individual and collective action at once.
5. Hold those you empower more responsible for their actions.
We also talk confronting Chelsea Clinton (Leen DWEIK, not "Naweek", DUH Conner!), solidarity, how identity politics are exploited by power, why Bernie Sanders matters even if he's not a hero, why grassroots struggle is what should win out rather than a Presidential candidate, thinking about what you want to bring forward in political situation, what we're responsible for when we vote. I call myself out, what's changed and what hasn't since Trump, why materialism can't guide us towards ethics, relating to the Other without falling into the imperialist trap of saying all people are the same, why politically-minded people should read novels, and more.
The Empire Files now has a Patreon, after being basically shut down by US sanctions. So support the show! which you should support.
• For more Abby and Mike: Abby is the only person to be a three-time AEWCH guest so far: she appeared on AEWCH 2 as my very first guest, and also on AEWCH 33, both great episodes, I think. Here are two great reports from Abby: Abby reporting from Palestine & Abby reporting from Venezuela. Abby and Mike appeared on Jimmy Dore's show to comment on, among other things, Bernie Sanders's unfortunately soft response to the US calling for intervention in Venezuela.
• The women who confronted Chelsea Clinton are Leen DWEIK, not Naweek, duh, Conner. But I got Rose Asaf correct! Here's the video and also their comment on that confrontation, which I deeply appreciate. And Will Connolly is the now world-famous "egg boy" who smashed an egg on far right asshole Fraser Anning's head. And of course, Minnesotan Representative Ilhan Omar continue to be a fly in the ointment of cognitive dissonance politics-as-usual.
• The statistic on civilian vs soldier casualty is much worse than I thought! It's - Until the 1990s, around 90% of deaths in war were soldiers. Since then, it's been around 80% civilians. I came across this information when it was cited in Jeff Halper's War Against the People: Israel, the Palestinians and Global Pacification, which is definitely worth your time.
• Here's the trailer for Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 11/9.
• There's an Empire Files episode with Native historian and writer, Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, "Why America? Mass Shootings & White Nationalism Share Roots" and it's great. They talk guns, settlers, colonialism, and more. Watch it.
Until next time!