We discuss the latest on big tech companies spying on our faces, from a NYT experiment with a feed in Bryant park, to some scary, oppressive facial surveillance of a Muslim population in China, along with new state-level efforts to fight this "plutonium of AI." We also break down Trump's incitement against Rep. Ilhan Omar and the pathetic response from Democratic leadership.
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW
- 78 machine learning researchers have signed an open letter calling on Amazon to stop selling facial surveillance to police, and defending research from Joy Buolamwini at MIT finding racial and gender bias in Amazon’s face detection software
- NYT also published a story about the Chinese government’s use of FS to track and control Uighurs
- Face surveillance is as dangerous as nuclear plutonium
- Who defended Rep. Omar from the Trump incitement? Bernie, Warren, Castro; full list here.
19 of the 282 Democrats/independents in Congress (~6.5%) defended Ilhan Omar on here within six hours of Trump’s tweet (link)
BILLS FIGHTING FACE SURVEILLANCE:
- Massachusetts is still set to consider a Face Surveillance moratorium.
- San Francisco is considering a ban.
Past episodes on the Tsarnaev Trial:
- E23: Includes review of the book Maximum Harm by Michelle McPhee about Tsarnaev
- E6: https://www.humorlessqueers.com/2015/06/03/the-tsarnaev-trial-big-bank-felonies-the-patriot-act-e06/
- E3: https://www.humorlessqueers.com/2015/01/15/problems-with-the-tsarnaev-trial-wall-street-2015/