Bitter Sweet Moment For Student Liaison Nina Davila-Paz
By Linda Farneth
The June 13 school board meeting was a bitter-sweet moment for Nina Davila-Paz as she was nearing graduation, had received several thousand dollars in scholarships to help with her next chapter in life, but she also had to say goodbye to friends, family and school board members.
Nina has been the Student Liason to the Colonial Beach School Board throughout the 2018-2019 school year. She will move on to George Mason University soon but she had some parting words for school board members.
“I just have to point out that it has been a fantastic year. I'm also happy and sad at this moment. I'm going to be graduating Saturday so this will be my last meeting. I'll be heading to George Mason University to study Bio Engineering.”
School Board Chairman Tim Trivett said, “I want to thank you for coming to all of our meetings.”
All members said they would miss her and wished her well.
Nina received $6000.00 in scholarships. On her facebook page, Nina wrote a heartfelt thank you to all the citizens who have donated to organizations who awarded her scholarships.
Nina wrote, “I would like to say just how thankful [I am] to everyone in the community who put forward donations toward these organizations because each cent that you all donated, I promise you, will help me so so so much with my time at George Mason and you all will not regret putting your dollars toward me. These scholarships totaling $6000 will help me more than I could ever imagine. Thank you all so much.”
Editor's Note: Nina has been very outgoing and jovial throughout her tenure as a Senior and Student Liaison. Her public speaking and ability to make people around her, feel at ease, has been very evident throughout this last year. I predict she will accomplish great things. If she decides to return to Colonial Beach we will be greatly enriched by her return. Good Luck Nina and keep us all posted.
Colonial Beach School's Community reported:
“Monday, June 10th CBHS Seniors were awarded scholarships by our Wonderful Community.”
Scholarships presenters were:
- American Legion Post #148 and The American Legion Auxiliary Post #148
- Chandale Elizabeth Dillion Memorial Scholarship
- Charles E. Catlett Jr. Memorial Scholarship
- Colonial Beach Artist Guild
- Colonial Beach Booster Club
- Nancy R. Barnes Memorial Scholarship
- Colonial Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Colonial Beach Foundation
- Colonial Beach United Methodist Women's Church
- Colonial Beach Art, Music & Mentorship
- Dr. Donald Warner Memorial
- George E. Allen
- Grasp Last Dollar
- Community Pathways
- Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie#4315
- Rappahannock Community College
- Northern Neck Berean Sunday School Commission
- Reverend Paymus Nutt
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Women of the Moose
- Anne Skinner Denson Memorial
- Colonial Beach Yacht Club
- Richard Cottrel DDSPC
- St. Mary's Episcopal Churchwomen
- Connemara Scholarship
“Our hearts were filled with gratitude these contributors showed to our students, over $37,000.00 in scholarships was presented.”