Dear Spinning Circle,
For those who've been wondering what The Wool Stream is all about, I will be releasing this Introductory episode that gives a run-down on the format and what to look forward to over time. I discuss the topics and layout of the show - for example, in Episode 2, I discuss Planning my handwoven Scout Tee shirt.
Thank you for being here today, especially those who were able to make it to the Live Stream. I appreciate your time spent here in this place and me. I hope you feel most welcome because you are welcome here.
As many of you know, I recently launched a new Patreon tier called The Wool Stream. While it's not only about wool, it is about introducing more natural fibres to my wardrobe that I wear daily. It is also about building a Capsule Wardrobe. I didn't want to call it The Wardrobe Stream, though, because I want to be able to grow and change the focus of the stream as needed in the coming years. I may get to a point where building a capsule wardrobe is finished or there isn't much more to say. This means I can 'pivot' and move this regular stream to be about something else related to our making that provides inspiration, motivation and education. Today, we chat about how this stream will be formatted for the foreseeable future, and some initial reflections I had about going through, purging my closet and some goals for my wardrobe. Enjoy!
Reasons for building a capsule wardrobe:
- Minimizing environmental footprint
- Building a wearable wardrobe that limits decision-making
- Incorporating handmade clothing into my everyday
- Minimizing my consumerism of ‘fast fashion’
What to expect on The Wool Stream:
- Materials and costs
- Techniques and methods
- Sampling and swatching
- Results, outfits and wearability
This past weekend, I purged my closet – some of the outfits I found are keepers, others I decided to donate and remove from my closet footprint.
- Goal is to downsize to a small closet ‘footprint’
- Clothing will fall into one of three categories: Gym/Active, Casual/Daily, Evening/Dressy
- Reflections from purging: Many of my clothes don’t fit anymore, too baggy, overlooked much of my stuff (made several new outfits)
Identified some holes in my closet for moving forward:
- Some of my cardigans are quite frayed at the edges & stained
- Several pairs of jeans and pants had to be removed – fit, holes, stains, etc
- Some good layering pieces that I had previously overlooked
- 30-40 pieces for a good year-round wardrobe
- Introduce some handwoven pieces to work alongside existing pieces
- Cropped pullover/cardigan to augment current sweaters
- Japanese-style apron
Please share your thoughts on building your own capsule wardrobe and what that may look like for you. I'd love to hear how you are planning to curate your clothing and your personal goals. Comment below!