Oct 25, 2019
In a nation of liars, an honest man cannot rule.
Einas ein Iteme knew he wasn’t a princess. That first truth provoked violence, murder and war, leaving him the heir to the throne of Ihrne—a throne he doesn’t want and can’t hold. How can he when he struggles to put words together, won’t look courtiers in the eye and avoids people on general principle? Yet the Eyrie, even Zaishne, simply assumes Ein will find a way to become the allistic ruler he can never be.
When his brother Paide invites him to a private discussion, Ein sees a chance to voice the second truth. Paide, though, keeps secrets of his own—and doesn’t seem to recognise the fate bound to him by hundreds of devouring angels.
To begin to save Paide’s soul, Ein will have to learn what the world never stirred itself to teach: trust.
Contains: A genderflux, aro-ace, autistic prince seeking to rule on his own terms; a cis, allistic prince learning to be a regent instead of an heir; an allistic, trans general working to support both brothers; and the challenge of governing a kingdom while trans and disabled.
Setting: Marchverse, shortly after A Prince of the Dead and Loveless.
Length: 12, 495 words / 34 PDF pages.
Also available from Smashwords, Barnes and Noble, Apple Books and Kobo.
- Early access to posts, articles and essays
- Early access to all Hallo, Aro stories
- Early access to all free Marchverse stories, serials and books
- Bones, Belts and Bewitchments: a Patreon-exclusive 275 page Marchverse collection
- Monthly Patreon-exclusive stories, including the series Different in Other Ways
- Free Patreon-only downloads for all paid Marchverse short stories
- Sneak peaks at forthcoming stories and projects
- My gratitude undimmed until the ending of the world