What's poppin, mi gente? Well, it took a few months, but I have FINALLY managed to rip all of the enemies/bosses from the game and set them all up on their own sprite sheets! This was a monumental task that primarily involved using Epsxe, with the snipping tool, paintshop pro and memhack. Along with many other supplemental tools such as cd mage to get the necessary bin files, then tiled ggd to find and tear out the palettes. I also used LagoLunatic's DS vania editor to get some of the enemy/bosses rips faster from other DS-vanias (when possible). And I even turned to Spriters-Resource to get a few 3D items (I didn't use it for the sprites because many were cut into pieces or just plain wrong). But I am so happy that it is finally done! We are talking hundreds upon hundreds of sprites here, so this to me is a huge chunk of work that is finally out of my hair!
As I've shown on previous posts, most of the enemies are already assembled on their sheets and come with all of their effects, projectiles, etc. as well. The exceptions would be things that use some kind of special effects shader. These will need to be hard-coded in. But that means that now it is a very simple matter to import the sheets, set them up to have their multiple sprites read from them, and then just begin coding in animations. Now that WILL be a time-consuming task to handle every enemy/boss + their effects. But it's not really difficult. And with me having all of the old sprites ripped and at the ready, it will mean that if I want to code, test and implement any of them at any time, that I now easily can!
Now with this being done, I'll have more time free to work with my sprite artists to continue having any of the new ones I still need drawn up. There are still plenty of bosses and some enemies that I will need new attack animations for! And really can't wait to go back to focusing on coding Legacy Richter and the Prologue stage. I'll definitely be putting up a few videos as I go of my progress there. I thought of doing the same when ripping the sprites. But that was just such a boring and tedious process, that I felt it would have been pointless to do so. And my goal here is to make everyone excited with these updates. Not to have everyone falling asleep in their seats and then waking up to a puddle of drool in their lap because of me!
Anyway, that's what I have for this week! Thanks again for another wonderful month here on Patreon to all of you, my loyal supporters! Be sure to spread the word of this page and project around too. The more funds come in, the quicker I can get things done.