According to Wikipedia:
- The human spine has 33 vertebrae. (Some of mine, I'll admit, aren't in great shape.)
- There were 33 workers trapped in the Copiapó mine in Chile a few years ago; they all survived. (The movie made about the incident was also titled 33.)
- Arsenic has the atomic number 33.
- Vinyl LPs are called 33s. although they actually spin at 33-1/3 rpm.
- Every bottle of Rolling Rock beer has the number 33 printed on its label. (I don't drink beer, so I can't confirm this.)
- The 11th century Muslim theologian al-Ghazali wrote that those in heaven will be 33 forever. (It's only been a few hours, but I can get behind that. I don't want to get any older.)
- The longest baseball game in history lasted 33 innings. Cal Ripken, Jr., among others, played in it. (I remember reading about the game in a comic book. I was probably about 9 years old.)
So maybe 33 isn't such a bad number, after all. I'm sad to see 32 go, but I suppose I'll get used to it.
Now, just because it's my birthday, that doesn't mean I'm taking the day off. My mind doesn't stop working, even when I'm not at the keyboard.