We're doing a talk for GeekGirlCONLINE about visual novels on 10/24 at 1pm PST! There's a lot of info in this talk, so this post is a quick reference guide you can check to get any links you miss during the talk. The Powerpoint slides are also attached!
- TV Tropes A handy place to read about plot points and character archetypes
- ColourLovers Color palette inspiration
- FreeSound.org Sound effects
- Incompetech Free to use music
- GameSounds.xyz More free to use music
- Notepad++ A useful text editor for code
- Calendly Easy way to schedule playtesting
- Itch.io A game portal for playing and posting your visual novels
Game Engines (in order of complexity):
Visual novels mentioned or screenshotted in the presentation:
- Amnesia: Memories
- Analogue: A Hate Story
- Arcade Spirits
- Butterfly Soup
- Code Romantic
- Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator
- Doki Doki Literature Club!
- Hatoful Boyfriend
- I Love You, Colonel Sanders! A Finger Lickin' Good Dating Simulator
- Message Me, Yuni!
- Neo Cab
- One Night, Hot Springs
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
- The Professor Layton series
- Umineko When They Cry
- Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Extra Notepad++ Tips:
- Associate .rpy with Python: Settings -> Style Configurator -> Click Python under "Language" -> Add "rpy" to "User ext."
- View tabs so you can avoid them: View -> Show Symbol -> Check "Show White Space and TAB"
- Switch tabs to spaces: Settings -> Preferences -> Language -> Check "replace by space"