This is a huge update for mod authors, and resolves memory errors for many players.
How to get the beta
1. Open the Steam client. (The beta isn't available on GOG currently.)
2. Right-click Stardew Valley and choose Properties.
3. Click the Betas tab.
4. Change the dropdown to "monogame64bit". (Ignore the 'check code' box.)
What's new in Stardew Valley 1.5.5?
- Migrates to MonoGame and 64-bit .NET 5 on all platforms.
For players, this resolves memory errors on Windows with many mods.
Mod authors can now use .NET APIs and the latest features like value tuples, records, etc consistently crossplatform. That was previously difficult due the trimmed version of Mono bundled on Linux/macOS.
Once mods are updated, this will also significantly improve the debugging experience by reducing the number of rewrites SMAPI needs to apply for mods to work crossplatform, and might enable debugging on Linux/macOS which wasn't previously possible.
- Makes the game assembly name consistent.
For mod authors, that means direct references to mod DLLs now work crossplatform. For example, referencing PyTK should no longer cause compile errors when building the mod code on Linux/macOS.
- Adds many changes for mod authors.
See the migration guide for content pack authors and modding wishlist items done in 1.5.5 for more info.
How can mod authors update their mods?
See the mod author migration guide.
Feel free to ask if you have any questions!