This is the latest entry in a series of creatures I converted for Fifth Edition Dungeons & Dragons for our Dawn of Defiance Star Wars campaign. You can download all 50+ monsters here.
A thin, grayish-white, flaky mass is spread across a large section of the ceiling. Its cryptic coloration nearly matches that of its environment, with only a slightly rougher texture to distinguish it from the surrounding stone. Five long tentacles hang down from this mass into the water below, resembling the other stalactites in the cave system.
A relative of the fear mosses living on more verdant planets, the gray fear moss has adapted well to subterranean environments. Prey underground is scarce, and these mosses can slow their metabolism during long periods of fasting. Fear moss feeds off its prey’s bodily juices, being particularly fond of adrenaline and other fear-induced chemicals. Once captured in the tentacles of the moss, the prey is exposed to a mind-altering toxin that induces an extreme state of fear.
Gray Fear Moss
Gargantuan ooze, chaotic evil
Armor Class 5 (natural armor)
Hit Points 369 (18d20+90)
Speed 10 ft.
STR | DEX | CON | INT | WIS | CHA
30 (+10) | 16 (+3) | 30 (+10) | 5 (-3) | 16 (+3) | 17 (+3)
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, prone
Skills Perception +10
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 20
Challenge 24 (62,000 XP)
Amorphous Form. The gray fear moss can occupy another creature’s space and vice versa.
False Appearance. While the gray fear moss remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from gray stone.
Killer Response. Any creature that starts its turn in the gray fear moss’s space is targeted by a tentacle attack if the gray fear moss isn’t incapacitated.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the gray fear moss fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Ooze Nature. The gray fear moss doesn’t require sleep.
Multiattack. The gray fear moss can attack up to five times with its tentacles or, if it has a grappled creature, tentacle slam.
- Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 28 (4d8 + 10) bludgeoning damage plus 9 (2d8) poison damage. If the target is Large or smaller, it is grappled (escape DC 25) and restrained until the grapple ends. The gray fear moss has five tentacles, each of which can grapple one target.
- Tentacle Slam. The gray fear moss slams grappled creatures into itself. Each creature must succeed on a DC 25 Constitution saving throw or take 28 (4d8 + 10) poison damage and frightened for 1 minute. On a successful save, the target takes half the poison damage and isn't frightened. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Mental Lure. Every humanoid and giant within 300 feet of the gray fear moss that is not immune to charm must succeed on a DC 12 Wisdom saving throw or be charmed until the lure ends. The gray fear moss must take a bonus action on its subsequent turns to continue the lure. It can stop the mental lure at any time. The lure ends if the gray fear moss is incapacitated. While charmed by the gray fear moss, a target is incapacitated and ignores the lures of other gray fear moss. If the charmed target is more than 5 feet away from the gray fear moss, the target must move on its turn toward the gray fear moss by the most direct route. It doesn't avoid opportunity attacks, but before moving into damaging terrain, such as lava or a pit, and whenever it takes damage from a source other than the gray fear moss, a target can repeat the saving throw. A creature can also repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If a creature's saving throw is successful, the effect ends on it. A target that successfully saves is immune to this gray fear moss's lure for the next 24 hours.
Mind Blast (Recharge 5-6). The gray fear moss magically emits psychic energy. Creatures of the gray fear moss’ choice within 60 feet of it must succeed on a DC 12 Intelligence saving throw or take 27 (5d10) psychic damage and be stunned for 1 minute. A target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
The gray fear moss can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The moss regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Attack. The gray fear moss makes one tentacle or slam attack.
- Exert Will. One creature charmed must use its reaction to move up to its speed or to make a weapon attack against a target as designated by the gray fear moss.
- Corrupting Touch (Costs 2 Actions). Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 15 ft., one creature. Hit: 24 (4d6+ 10) poison damage, and the target is slimed. Until the slime is scraped off with an action, the target is poisoned, and any creature, other than an ooze, is poisoned while within 10 of the target.
Like this article? Join us on Patreon for just $1/month; follow me on Amazon, Facebook, Google+, Linkedin, Pinterest, Quora, Twitter, and the web; buy my books: Legends Comic, Punktown for Call of Cthulhu, The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, and Awfully Furmiliar. Thanks for reading!