Basement/Downstairs Studio progress
I'm nearly done!

There wasn't anything really "wrong" with where I was sitting to work in our basement studio, but it was at a huge table in the middle of the room, and I didn't really have anywhere to store my stuff, and basically felt like I was in the way all the time.  I needed a new place to work, so I decided on this rather ignored slice of wall between a heating duct and Chris's daughter's craft area.  It originally was the home of this rolling cart that held a bunch of resin inventory and packaging, but we were coming up with  a different solution for that anyway, so this seemed like the right place.  I'll post some shots later on (when we clean up the DISASTER AREA that is an 11 year old's "crafting station", ha ha) that shows our whole basement studio.  But for now, here's what I've been busy with:

1) Here's my real estate.  I used a stud sensor to figure out where the studs are, and added a bunch of new screws to really fasten that painted wood paneling onto the studs for stability.

2 and 3)  That air duct was a more recent addition that was never really "finished", and left this huge ugly shelf of joint compound in a ring around the top of the duct.  I realize it's a basement, but that's the sort of stuff that makes me mental, so I HAD to fix it.  I grabbed some more joint compound (or "ceiling sauce" as I called it) and feathered out that shelf.  Once I sanded and painted it, it looked pretty good!

4)  I used some leftover grey paint from a previous home improvement project and just glommed it down on the wall with a paintbrush.  It won't really be seen, so perfection wasn't important.  I just needed a color other than that bright aqua, in case it showed from behind the wooden boards.  I also, more carefully and neatly, painted the duct and the small sliver of wall next to the corrugated steel wall.  One thing to note is how much that aqua reflects onto the steel corrugate in pics 2 and 3 - that is something I really needed to get rid of, because I didn't want a color reflecting onto my work surface! It actually makes it hard to see color properly when other colors are reflecting onto what you're painting, so I painted it grey and you can see in the very corner of picture 4, that totally eliminated that reflection problem. Neutrality achieved.

5)  Attaching the boards.  All these boards were cut, sanded, and stained prior to me doing this.  I figured out that in order to get a sort of "hardwood floor" pattern to the boards, I needed to cut them in 3/3, 2/3, and 1/3 size pieces - there are only 3 sizes in the whole wall.  If you look closely you can see my pattern: long piece all the way across, then the next row is a small and a medium. Next row is a medium and a small, and then the next is a long piece.  Repeat until your back is sore and you have trouble stretching down to tie your shoes the next morning ;)

But, I did it!  I just have a few extra touches and I can take some nice photos of the setup and share.  I'm super excited to have  a new place to work that is out of the way AND has proper storage for my supplies.  I think this is going to really increase both my productivity and my general attitude about "going down to work in the basement".  

Tier Benefits
Recent Posts