As a full-time freelance knit and crochet designer, I'm always working with a variety of yarn companies. And I love supporting small businesses, especially indie yarn creators, and small yarn businesses.
For every design I make, I need to choose what yarn to make it with. By becoming one of my yarn sponsors, your yarn will be guaranteed to be used in one of my newest designs. In this post I explain what I'm offering to you, in exchange for becoming a sponsor.
Here is what you'll get:
- I'll use your yarn in an upcoming design.
- The process of knitting and publishing the design in your yarn will be posted about to all my Patreon, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and email newsletter followers.
- I'll share a link to your website in every post I make.
- You'll be invited to join in on the pattern testing process to leave your input about the pattern and make your own sample project prior to publication.
- Upon publication you'll receive a copy of the pattern for free.
- This tier is limited to 3 patrons at a time.
I'll go over each one in detail, below.
• I'll use your yarn in an upcoming design
When you join this tier I'll email you a survey, with some questions asking what kind of design you are looking to have for your yarn, and if you have a specific yarn in mind. Once I look over the survey we can work together to come up with a design that we both think will work great in your yarn.
• The process of knitting and publishing the design in your yarn will be posted about to all my Patreon, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and email newsletter followers.
Throughout the knitting process I'll take in-progress pictures and post them whenever there's something worth noting, like casting on, making notable progress, starting a new section (like body or sleeve), and finishing. There will be lots of posts—probably 2–3 a week—to my Patreon patrons, with slightly fewer on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
My email list will receive notification of the new pattern, and a blog post, which includes some WIP pics and the highlights of the yarn and pattern.
As of January 2020, I have:
3800 Twitter followers
2450 Facebook likes
1900 email subscribers
1470 Instagram followers
5 patrons on Patreon (it's still young, but it will grow)
I'll share a behind-the-scenes look at the knitting (or crocheting), photography, pattern layout, testing, and other publishing processes to keep crafters interested in the release of this design
• I'll share a link to your website in every post I make.
So, for all the posts I make above, your yarn and social media profiles get advertised! Bonus!
• You'll be invited to join in on the pattern testing process to leave your input about the pattern and make your own sample project prior to publication.
Pattern testing is like a private knit-a-long for exclusive crafters and it's a ton of fun to be part of a small community who are all working together on making something great. As part of the design team, you're invited to join in on the process and welcome to work with me to be sure the pattern is clear and correct.
This also gives you the opportunity to make up your own sample project, so it's available for trunk shows, trade shows, fairs, etc… when the pattern is published.
• Upon publication you'll receive a copy of the pattern for free.
I'll email you the completed PDF for your personal, or in-office use only.
If you wish to purchase wholesale printed copies of the pattern to distribute with your yarn or in kits, this may be arranged for 40% of the total cost of the individual pattern.
• This tier is limited to 3 patrons at a time.
Because design production is extensive, I'm limiting this to 3 patrons at a time (for now). My current rate of production is about 4–6 months per design, and I ask that you remain a sponsor until the completion of the design using your yarn. At which point you're welcome to cancel or change your membership to continue being part of this great Patreon community.
A Yarn Sponsor membership is $35 / month, paid on the 1st of each month following your subscription. 4–6 months of yarn sponsor membership means this design would only cost you $140–$210, plus any yarn support you offer. That's minuscule compared to what you'd pay outright for a new design from a designer.
In addition to having a new design made in your yarn, you'll get all the advertising benefits from my posts, as well as all the benefits of being a Cardigan member of my Patreon, which includes the Free Kanti Mama pattern, tips about being a designer, an insider look at my life as a designer, a 25% discount on all new patterns that I self publish, $1.50 off some best selling patterns, and more!
How Do I Become a Sponsor?
To begin working with me as a yarn sponsor all you need to do is join my patreon and select the yarn sponsor membership option. I'll email you a survey to complete, and we can get the ball rolling right away!
I'm really looking forward to working with you and your yarn to create a beautiful new design!