WE DO NOT ACCEPT NEW COMMERCIAL REQUESTS AT THIS TIME, AS WE ARE IN A PROCESS OF REWORKING OUR LICENSES
This post is only relevant to the current commercial license holders.
As a legal entity you are eligible for commercial license as long as your gross total income does not exceed €85.000,00 for the past 12 month. If that does not apply, please reach out to [email protected] to see if it is possible to arrange for a specific custom license.
If it does apply and you are interested in selling products that are created with FA assets, you are going to need our Commercial License.
The Commercial License and Fan Content Policy do not cover integration of our assets or tokens into software products. If you are developing a software and you would like to include our assets or tokens in your software product you must contact us at [email protected] to see if it is possible to arrange for a specific custom license.
The Commercial License allows you to use all of FA content in commercial products - excluding software products. The number of products you are allowed to sell/publish depends on your monthly cap/limit of the Merchant Tier.
How to obtain the license:
- Become a Merchant Tier ( minimum $20 ) patron of Forgotten Adventures.
- Fill out the Commercial Use Registration on our website:
- Wait until Patreon charges you for your Merchant Tier pledge.
Detailed info about the License:
- The License becomes valid from the point when your pledge goes through the Patreon system - when we receive the first payment (at the end of the month/start of the next month), for the duration of the following month.
- Number of allowed Products per month depends on your "Monthly Cap/Limit":
* 1 Times a month ($20) = 4 Products
* 2 Times a month ($40) = 8 Products
* 3+ Times a month ($60) = 12 Products
- If you later decide to move down to a lower tier, or cancel your subscription, your use of the assets reverts back to noncommercial purposes for additional products. You still have the rights to sell Products that were published during the period you had a Valid license as explained above, but you can no longer publish more.
- The License allows you to use all of FA content in commercial products so long as the FA content used for commercial purposes is part of a greater product/publication/adventure module/one shot etc. , You can't just repack and sell the content!
- You can remix, transform, edit, and build upon the material.
- The License doesn't cover Content made by other creators from collaborations released on our Patreon or community created content released on our Discord!
- The License is NOT TRANSFERABLE - If someone would like to commission you for a map that’s gonna be used in a commercial product they would need a separate license on their own as well.
- Credit Requirement still applies even for Commercial License!
You are required to credit us (Forgotten Adventures) and link to our Website ( https://www.forgotten-adventures.net/ ) in your publication.
Detailed info about "Products":
Simply put, a "product" is anything that has a price tag and is sold.
- 1 battlemap sold separately = 1 product
- Pack of multiple maps bundled together = 1 product
Number of allowed products per month do not roll over, meaning you can't post more products in a single month if you didn't post any in the previous 2 months. It's a fixed 4/8/12 a month based on the cap.
Product limits are there to prevent people from pledging for a month, releasing 60 products at once and deleting the pledge immediately after. We believe that 4 products a month for $20 is a reasonable number.
Detailed info about Tokens:
You may use Tokens as part of Adventures and Modules - just within reason - e.g. Don't package 20 tokens with a single map, and don’t package the entire SRD in a single adventure. If you are not sure about a particular use case, please contact us.
Commercial License and "Per Creation" Patreon:
Patreon "Per creation" model: 1 paid Patron only post/release = 1 product
Commercial License and "Monthly" Patreon:
Monthly Patreon Pages are counted as 1 Product!
However, if you are also selling separately on other platforms (DMsGuild etc.) that is counted separately. So your Monthly Patreon Page as a whole is 1 "Product" - and selling three packs on e.g. DMsGuild brings you up to 4.
You become a Merchant Patron with a limit of 2 times a month ($40) sometime during August and you Register the license on our website. The payment goes through on the 2nd of September & your license becomes valid from the 2nd of September until the end of the month.
You can publish 8 products for sale during September since your cap/maximum is set to 2x ($40.)
If you stay pledged on a Merchant level (2x), your license extends for the next month for additional 8 products for as long as you stay a Merchant Patron.
Please don't use our content to promote any hateful or disrespectful causes.
We reserve the right to take down any content that we deem inappropriate.
We also reserve the right to take down any content that we deem attempting to exploit the Commercial License or Fan-Content Policy.
Fan-Content Policy - When you don't need the license:
If you make content with FA assets that you are sharing for FREE – You can accept Donations without the need of the Commercial License!
Including Patreon or Pay What You Want model on DriveThruRPG for example.
Shared products have to be free and accessible to the public, nothing behind a paywall, no exceptions (variants/gridless etc. behind a paywall for example) – Also proper credit is required in all instances.
Any unedited tokens that are to be included must be the free variants only, and must be part of a larger product. That means if you are making a module or writing an adventure you can use the free color variants of tokens – just within reason – e.g. Don’t package 20 tokens with a single map, and don’t package the entire SRD in a single adventure. If you are not sure about a particular use case, please contact us.
Fan Content Policy and Commercial Use do not cover integration of our assets or tokens into software products. If you are developing a software and you would like to include our assets or tokens in your software product you must contact us at [email protected] to see if it is possible to arrange for a specific custom license.
Streaming and Prerecorded Video
The Fan-Content Policy also includes Streaming and Prerecorded Video ( Twitch, YouTube etc.) as long as the videos themselves are not behind a paywall. You may use any color variants for tokens visible in streaming and video. Credit is still required – a link to the website must be included in the description of the stream or video, and you must either include text on the screen or verbally mention credit during the video.
How to properly Credit:
If you are sharing content made with FA assets, You are required to credit us (Forgotten Adventures) and link to our Website ( https://www.forgotten-adventures.net/ ) in your publication.
Proper credit should look something like this:
"This Map was created using the Assets from Forgotten Adventures"
"Assets used to create this map are from Forgotten Adventures"
“Tokens used in this stream are from Forgotten Adventures“
* Credit doesn't have to be directly on the map itself. If it's a single map shared on reddit or somewhere else - Credit in comments or in the description will suffice.
* For Streaming/Video Content - a link to the website must be included in the description of the stream or video, and you must either include text on the screen or verbally mention credit during the video.
* For Adventures and such - in "credits" section and/or under/next to the map
If you have any questions please feel free to comment below and we will do our best to answer you asap ^_^