Content Summary for December 2019
Links to blogs, patreon posts and useful links shared on Twitter for the month of December 2019.
Twitter Stuff from December 2019
- I presented at Dev Fest Bishkek a talk on "How I Test" this has examples of the process I used, and the notes I made during testing. https://t.co/JWdFmcLrP2 #SoftwareTesting #ExploratoryTesting #AgileTesting -
- I'm going to have to study this series on creating a multiplayer text adventure in Node.js by @deleteman123 to see what I can learn to help me with my RestMud project https://t.co/wn4FSpV5o6 -
- Blogged some notes on Tactical vs Strategic development using https://t.co/5qwVsMOyWm as an example and a list of blog, Patreon and Twitter links from November. Good chance to catch up if you missed any of this during the month.https://t.co/x4OuCkUHYg -
- Blogged: an exercise around identifying risks, issues and benefits for an approach to automating https://t.co/CSBenLqpgU -
- A bug debugging debrief... https://t.co/aLJPBZRWVd
- Useful slide deck convering API security testing considerations https://t.co/X7Pew03IK4
- Useful slides and links in this talk from Gojko Adzic @gojkoadzic https://t.co/nbd4lb0aP7
- New and improved versions of my testpages are available here https://t.co/84llXUvTEL and... check out all the other sites listed in the Abstracta blog post. https://t.co/am6G4od8Sa
Blog Posts For December 2019
- Risks, Issues, Benefits Of Tactically Automating Twitter Case Study
- An exercise of exploring risks, issues and benefits of automating tactically.
- November 2019 EvilTester.com and Patreon Content Summary
- Some notes on Tactically developing Software and content created and collated for EvilTester.com, Patreon and Social for November 2019
- How I Test - A Dev Fest Talk
- A worked example of exploratory testing and note taking.
Patreon Posts For December 2019
The pdfs are available on the $5 tier here
There is a lot here because this also contains the links for the micro course that was uploaded.
- Functional Languages and Discrete Math Lessons
- The value was from Discrete Mathematics i.e. Set Theory, Graph Theory, Propositional and Predicate Logic.
- Dark Hero of The Information Age
- 'you called it a theory of communciation... you didn't call it a theory of Information'
- Consumer Hardware Testing
- Making the decision to stop testing is important, but it isn't always easy to do because there is always 'one more thing' to try.
- Happy Seasons Greetings 2019
- Happy Seasons Greetings December 2019
- Errors of Omission, and Errors of Commission
- This post stems from something I read in 'The Democratic Corporation' by Russell L Ackoff
- A simple sales tip
- A simple sales tip to help when the sales process is going well.
- The Golem
- I read two Harry Collins books recently and both were very good - The Golem series.
- Multiple Representations of The System Support Testing
- One thing to consider when we test is, do we have enough different representations when we test?
- Session Debrief - Planning Session
- A 'very soon after the testing' debrief session for the planning session. Where I outline the thought processes for the planning session.
- Uploaded New Micro Course - How I Test - Web App
- Fast broadband meant uploading videos was super fast but came with a new set of issues.
- How I Test Web App Slides and Materials
- Slides used in the micro course videos.
- Basic Testing Flow Used
- An explanatory summary of the basic testing flow that I used in this process.
- Coverage Session Introduction
- An introduction to a coverage session where I am more focussed on coverage scope, than identifying new coverage and ideas
- Coverage Sessions Lessons Learned
- A summary of the lessons learned from a coverage system.
- About Issues
- Examining the defect to think through when it might be found.
- What drives tooling?
- thinking through what drives our tooling choices is important.
- Technical Exploratory Session Debrief
- Debrief recorded immediately after conducting a technical exploratory session, showing the tools used and why I used them.
- Introduction to a Technical Exploratory Session
- An overview of an Exploratory Session and discussing the nuance of a Technical Exploratory Session
- Coverage Session Debrief
- Explanation of the coverage session with a walkthrough of my notes and explanation of the tools used
- Additional Activities
- What did I not do? Automating. Short description of how I would approach that. And additional lessons learned. Admin.
- Technical Session Macro Summary and Lessons
- A high level overview of lessons learned from the technical session.
- Planning And Modelling Meta Analysis
- Discussion of my planning approach and how differences in approach and timing impact our planning depth.
- An Overview and Lessons learned from Modelling
- n overview of the modelling process and why it is important, with lessons learned from this session and general modelling experience.
- Modelling And Planning Session Debrief
- An overview of my modelling and planning session recorded immediately after my modelling session.
- Debrief Meta Analysis
- Description of why debriefs are important and lessons learned from my note taking and debriefs.
- Debrief Session
- A 'live' debrief session looking at the exact notes taken. Recorded immediately after the debrief session.
- Recon Session Meta Analysis
- Slide based overview of the recon session which is a short process to help us adjust our approach to better target the application.
- Recon Session Debrief
- A debrief session conducted very soon after the testing to describe the results of the recon session.
- What is a Recon Session
- An overview of a recon session and why we would perform one.
- Planning to Test Holistically
- A meta analysis of the planning session with additional thoughts
- Why We Plan
- A slide based overview of why we plan - to know what to do, and what we have discounted.
- Choosing What To Test - Intro
- An overview of test basis and using it to plan testing holistically.
- Healthcheck Session Debrief
- A debrief of the healthcheck session, recorded very soon after the health check was performed.
- Health Check Session Description
- A description of a health check session.
- Releases and Deployments
- A description of my first session and the lessons learned for releases and deployments.
- Install Session Debrief
- A debrief of my first install session.
- Choosing an Environment
- I chose the environment based on my anticipated needs for testing, and based on my experience.
- Debrief Intro
- A short, 'live' intro to the course and the testing approach.
- Choosing the Right Person for the Job
- We choose the right person for the job, or we become the right person for the job we are doing.
- How I Test - Web App Case Study - Introduction
- An overview of the content and a high level description of my work.
- Summary of Testing, Tooling, Bugs, Exploration and Coverage
- Looking back over all sessions and summarising key lessons learned.
- Final Notes
- Why the course was built the way it was and why I didn't show the live test sessions.
- Micro Course Contents - How I Test - Web App
- This is a micro course based on a set of testing and debriefs to act as a case study with thoughtful analysis
- Observation, and our ability to interpret the results of observation, is what gives us the ability to adapt.
- Practice Video Session Dev Fest 2019 Talk
- The practice session for my remote talk at Dev Fest on 14th December.
- Exercise - how does this app work?
- A live testing exercise investingating an application to see what we find and what tools we have to use to find our findings.
- Software Testing Verbs and Nouns
- Testing is what people experience as a result of our work. This puts a lot of responsibility on us, but is also empowering.
- Sometimes the Programming Language Has Hidden Nuances
- Effects of saying No
- How saying No, resulted in a successful close with a different process.
- Debugging a Proxy Issue on Mac and a Chrome Tip
- I tried to setup ZAP on Mac Catalina with Chrome, failed. But did find an interesting Chrome tip with a 'secret code' to type on the page.
- November 2019 Collated PDFs
- PDFs of the monthly summaries
- Content Summary for November 2019
- Content Summary links for November 2019, blogs, patreon and Twitter
- What is an MVP? And a minor bug...
- I describe implementing an MVP of Related Search in an online tool. Finding the bug in the implementation is an exercise for the reader.
- Blog Post - Risks, Issues, Benefits Of Tactically Automating Twitter
- Exercise on identifying Risks, Issues, Benefits etc. with an Automation Approach.
- An example of some testing session notes
- Early notes from a testing session from 4 years ago which are still readable today. An encouragement to practice note taking when testing.
- Gradually Refactoring to APIs
- Too many projects jump into 'massive change mode' when they create APIs. But they don't have to. I explain the strategy I recommend.
By becoming a patron, you'll instantly unlock access to 671 exclusive posts
By becoming a patron, you'll instantly unlock access to 671 exclusive posts