1/2 box (1 1/2 cup) spice cake mix
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cups water
1/2 cup bourbon (I used Crown Royal, but any bourbon works)
1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup (4 ounces) sour cream
2 large egg whites
3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons Fireball whiskey
Gold sanding sugar or sprinkles
Red food coloring gel
1. Preheat oven to 325° (Fahrenheit) and place gold cupcake liners in cupcake pan(s).
2. In stand mixer, add dry ingredients and then wet ingredients. Mix with paddle attachment on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until mixed well.
3. Fill cupcake liners halfway full and bake for approximately 18 minutes.
4. Cool cupcakes.
1. In stand mixer with whisk attachment, mix together powdered sugar and butter on low speed until well blended. Increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
2. Add Fireball until blended, about 1 minute. Add red food coloring gel and mix on low speed until you reach the desired red color.
3. Using a pastry bag and decorating tip (I used a Wilton 1M tip), decorate cooled cupcakes.
4. Sprinkle with gold sanding sugar, and enjoy!