So if memory serves me correctly, 2016 started off with me trying to wrap my frankly awful prototype for “Stop N’ Shred” and thinking about what to do next. At the time I was working at a really mindless job which gave me tons of time to think about game concepts. One of the more standout ideas is for a combination of pong and breakout similar to how this “Painstation” game works though with more elaborate block patterns obviously. I still plan to go back to this concept at some point because I think it could be quite interesting. However the idea that really stuck with me was of a trans themed endless runner, and thus T-Runner was born/created/whatever.
Through most of February and effectively all of March work was very slow and led to me having a lot of days off without much notice. While this was nice since it gave me a chance to work on prototyping T-Runner it was also incredibly frustrating and I eventually decided to look for work elsewhere. I continued to work on T-Runner while also looking for proper full time employment. During its development I learned a lot about what it actually takes to make a game. Mainly that UI design/programming is a nightmare from which there is no escape.
That summer I thought it would be nice to have some kind of multiplayer leaderboard in the game which I soon realized was way outside my skill set and I finally decided that it just wasn’t meant to be. While I could technically add it to the mobile version using a tool like Google Play Games I wanted to have parity between the mobile and desktop versions of the game so that wasn’t really an option. Thankfully everyone seemed to be understanding of the situation and it all worked out in the end.
Next came the final preparations for the launch which was a real doozy let me tell ya. Trying to sort out those last few bugs while also having to migrate the source code repository in case I lost access to my private github repos which then broke the Unity Visual Studio integration effectively making it impossible to debug anything. But somehow I managed to do it! I actually managed to ship a complete game! Sure it wasn’t perfect, not by a long shot, but I saw that project through to the end and that was my main goal.
So while 2016 was largely terrible by most accounts I had some good moments in it. I met some great people, made some great friends, saw a project through from start to finish, and was an emotional wreck only about 50% of the time. Here’s hoping this year will be better though!
Now I don’t have a ton of specifics to give about my next project just yet, but I’d like to give an overview of my goals for the year in terms of this Patreon and game development in general. Mainly I’d really like to improve my writing skills because right now they’re quite lacking and since I’m creating a heavily story focused game this will be very crucial.I’d also like to get better at handling stuff like save data and other forms of data manipulation/storage. Again since my next project is very story choice driven I want to have a robust system to handle tracking all of those choices and modifying future situations in the game. I’d also like to be better about keeping my patrons informed about what's going on, this will be easier once I’m actually able to announce what I’m working on though.
So yeah I think that about wraps things up, I hope you all made it through 2016 relatively safely and hope 2017 has better things in store for all of us! I want to give a big thanks to all my wonderful patrons, I don’t know what I’d do without you. Your support keeps me motivated and allows me to explore new ideas I never thought possible. You’re all incredible, thank you.