As in the physically shared space you will need to agree on how you will communicate clearly and without harm with each other in the digital space. The exercise of creating these agreements helps your group to identify what is important to them and creates circumstances for best work. This is always an exercise in gaining consent. Attached is an example of digital communication agreements we created for Calling Up Justice online EDI workshops last year. Below are some examples of potential agreements you can use for your next gathering. These were agreements we created specifically for digital EDI sessions via zoom.
CALLING UP DIGITAL COMMUNICATION AGREEMENTS
- We will introduce ourselves via chat
- We will care for our bodies and move as needed
- We will co-create space for everyone to contribute.
- Those of us most comfortable responding quickly will create space for other voices
- Those of us less comfortable responding verbally and quickly will speak and be heard
- We will honor productive silence
- We will avoid cross talk
- We will be fully present with each other and resist the urge to multi-task
- We will test our personal technology before we meet and resolve any technical issues
- We will use the mute button when not speaking to prevent background noise
- We will use message and hand signals to communicate to others before speaking
- We will turn on our video whenever possible
- We will manage time together
- We will always get consent