I finally used a sketch from another comic (top right) that was the only sketch that came anywhere close to what I had in mind for Dragonet. It worked, and I could finally rough out final models to put in the first rough pages (the bottom two rows).
A final version of the adult Dragonet can be seen here, based on the (first) sketch I made above. A color version will be available in the next post.
So all the different character designs seemed to fall into place and I prepared to do a lot of research before launching Dragonet the webcomic in mid 2010. I had worked on three webcomics previously and wanted to have as much concrete notes and preparation as possible.
More importantly, I wanted a very large buffer of finished pages ready to go on the web before the official launch. But that was not to be.
Next time: careful plans and mad dashes.