We’re back with episode 31, discussing sex in the geek community with our friends
and Hana Butler! We chatted about vampire romance fiction, creating a more inclusive community, and the importance of ongoing discussions about sex and other topics in the geek sphere.
As a head’s up, we ran into some unfortunate audio issues on this episode due to new equipment, new programs, and Skype. We apologize for the low-quality recording and hope you listen anyway—Liz and Hana had wonderful, informative things to say and their contributions are one-hundred percent worthwhile.
: Due to the nature of this episode, it is rated explicit.
: The reason Missy couldn’t find the article she was looking for was because it was by Sarah Nyberg, not Zoe Quinn, and it is actually titled, “I Was a Teenage Edgelord.” Linked below, with trigger warnings.
Some Links You Might Find Interesting
- Sex Geekdom and Sex Geekdom Seattle
- Contact Hana via email: [email protected]
- Contact Liz at CMD Shift Design | CMD Shift Design Sex Positive Design | All Cycles | Twitter | Instagram
- John Oliver’s Segment on Sex Education
- Missy’s article on romance systems: "Love in the Age of Dragons: Unpacking the Romance Systems of Dragon Age"
- TEDTalk: Al Vernacchio, “Sex Needs a New Metaphor: Here’s One”
- "Play Asia Will Sell Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 for Western Audiences, to Spite Feminists, or Something” by Maddy Myers
- ”I’m Sarah Nyberg, and I Was a Teenage Edgelord” by Sarah Nyberg (Trigger warnings for pretty much everything under the sun. Please be aware that this article contains mentions of rape, pedophilia, incest, homophobic slurs, racism, transphobia, and a whole bunch of other things.)
- Oh Joy Sex Toy (NSFW)
- Dar! (may be NSFW)
- Liz’s Valentine’s Day comic (NSFW)
- Sex Nerd Sandra podcast (NSFW topics)
- The Whorecast/ Winter is Coming… (NSFW)
- Swing Set Network (NSFW)
- The Kinky Geeks podcast (NSFW)
- Why Are People Into That? podcast (NSFW)
- Sex Out Loud podcast (NSFW)
- Carnalcopia podcast (NSFW)
- Bonk by Mary Roach
- Come As You Are by Emily Nagoski
- Girlsex 101 by Alison Moon and others
- Sex is Fun by Kidder Kaper