What are film roles you’ll never leave out on your future sets? Perhaps because you’ve had to work without them before, etc. (things like HMU, production design, AD, line producer, etc etc. Anything beyond director/producer/DP basically) - Bri
Hey! First, big ol thanks to my Patrons over at patreon.com/katehackett for supporting me every month and making sure I can put videos out — like this one! Patreon is an amazing platform that gives me stability as an artist to keep fighting for a little room in the industry - if you want to keep in touch with me, learn about the biz, or just show support for a writer, producer, actor, creator in Los Angeles, visit patreon.com/katehackett. Patrons also receive weekly #FemaleFilmmakerFriday content, so if you don’t want to miss anything, make sure you head on over!
If you're a wonderful Patreon FOLLOWER, I'd love to be able to bring you into the fold -- join today & be part of the community!
And, of course, thanks so much to viewers like you for joining me for this month’s Female Filmmaker Friday vlog, where once a month I chat with you publicly about some aspect of the business — and being a woman therein.
This month I have a question from one of my Patrons. Bri asks “What are film roles you’ll never leave out on your future sets? Perhaps because you’ve had to work without them before?”
So— beyond the bare minimum, which is really just actor, director, who do we have? DP. Sound. Those are the next most important roles. You must have good sound. Period. DPs are great, a good camera does wonders, though sometimes you can get a director to double. When I hire for these roles in particular, I do my best to hire women; I’ve worked with some WONDERFUL female DPs who really have a great eye. These jobs also skew typically male, so it’s important to be conscious of your hire.
After that, as an actress, I always want Hair & Makeup. Some actors are fine without it; I’m notoriously bad at doing my own hair and makeup and if I have to commit my face to film, I would love for someone who knows what he or she is doing to tackle this.
At this point, everything else becomes “wishlist”. If you’re shooting at a teeny micro budget level, you can make this work with your skeleton crew. However. It’s important to know your weaknesses and farm that work out. Production design is probably the next person I would really want on set; it’s possible to get away with doing PD yourself, especially comedy, but it’s always a billion times better when you hire someone.
Just look at this still from The Long Dig
Vs. Not a Plan, which I did.
So. You get it.
When I’m working barebones, I do all the line producing (which is budget stuff), we AD ourselves (keep ourselves on schedule), we gaff ourselves (lighting), we clothe ourselves, so these teammates are not REQUIRED for uber low budget productions I run, but they’re really fucking helpful. It also really depends on the scope of the project; a short comedy in your apartment doesn’t need a best boy. A scifi short action film requires at least three people on production design’s team.
To conclude: actor. director. sound. DP. Hair & Makeup. You can skate by with those — but remember that that means YOU are doing all of the other jobs that you had to omit!
Welcome Aboard Tier
Behind the Scenes Tier
- Pledge $5 or more and get...
- My private Twitter @KateOnSet where I will post about life on set and around the industry
- Access to the auditions playlist, where I'll post self tapes (if I can)
- Pledge $10 or more and get...
- A livestream with everyone from this tier and above - every month OR
- I invite you to my GChat for little one-on-one via text!
- Secret Instagram pals! I'll invite you to my private Instagram feed, @KateOnSet, which will have photos JUST for my Patreon backers.
- Your own Discord server chat
Beta Tester Tier
- Pledge $15 or more and get...
- BETA TESTER - You get a password-protected rough cut of any narrative film/show I create before release. I'll ask for your feedback and if you choose to participate, your name will appear in the credits. Plus HD Video downloads of videos created via Patreon and digital scripts
- Your own Discord server chat -- private for 15+!
Writer's Workshop Tier
- Pledge $25 or more and get...
- Your name in the description of my videos, in a special thanks section
- Signed photo from Patreon-sponsored photoshoots
- Access to writing prompts & exercises
- Wallpapers, icons, etc. as they come out.
Personal Time Tier
- Pledge $50 or more and get...
- Hangout with me! Every month we will schedule a time for a private 20 minute chat about whatever you like. It is personal and awesome! Talk about the biz, the cats, you, me, Bryers vs Dryers (I HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS), video games, or whatever.
- Writing Help! if you have a project of your own, I'll take a look at it! Or brainstorm ideas with you!
- Special Thanks! You & a link of your choice via Twitter or in a video.
Producer Tier - Run Lines with Me!
At this level, you'll also get the run lines with meperk. When I have auditions, or class work, I need to prep, we'll schedule a call and review material. Please see http://bit.ly/runlineskate
In Person Producer Tier
At this level, you're invited to set - whatever I'm working on, if I have the power to invite you, you're invited!
+ digital roundups of all the BTS goodies I can muster -- photo shoots, songs I use for inspiration, notes, shots of script breakdowns, etc. and a 1 hour personal 1x1 hangout.
+ all other rewards, you know the deal.
(lodging/airfare not included. If you aren't local & can't make this happen but want to support, let's chat about what'll work)
A one time mailed package of goodies -- signed scripts, etc. -- and credits on IMDB et all on everything I personally create and have the authority to deliver that on.