She later moved to Padova to continue her studies with Maestro Palumbo. She earned her first few lire as a singer with the role of Maddalena in Rigoletto at Padova and Lola in Cavalleria Rusticana, which she sang in Montagnana. In 1933 she won the first competition launched by the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino which led only to her being offered five thousand lire and a tiny role in Pizzetti’s L’Orséolo.
After the competition, Tullio Serafin asked Giulietta Simionato to sit for a La Scala audition but her mezzo voice was found still immature. She was advised to continue her studies and to sit for another audition in two years time."
Pledge $0 or more per month
Pledge $0.01 or more per month
- Access to patron-only updates.
- Early access to content.
- A thank you on our social media accounts (or stay anonymous).
- Appear in credits of all compilation videos.
- Insider team forum access
- Honorary mention on our about page.
- Exclusive rehearsal footage of promising young singers!