GM Layoffs - Lordstown
2018: On the Monday after Thanksgiving, General Motors workers in the U.S. and Canada learned of the company's announcement that it would be idling five plants and cutting around 14,000 jobs. In this urgent, multi-episode series, we will be talking to workers at plants in Ohio, Michigan, and Canada. In Part I, we talk to Rochelle Carlisle, Tommy Wolikow, and Nanette Senters, three GM workers from the iconic GM plant in Lordstown, OH.
Additional links/info below...
- Neal E. Boudette, New York Times, "G.M. to Idle Plants and Cut Thousands of Jobs as Sales Slow"
- CBS News, "GM Layoff Announcement Sparks Outrage - and Stock Increase"
- Jamie L. LaReau, Detroit Free Press, "UAW Fights to Save Detroit, Ohio Plants, Braces for Tough Contract Talks"
- Tim Rudell, WOSU Radio, "Workers, Neighbors and Friends Gather for GM Lordstown Vigil"
- Ron Jacobs, CounterPunch, "The Legacy of Lordstown"
- Will Bunch, The Inquirer, "In 1970s, Workers at this GM Plant Tried to Reinvent the American Dream. Instead, They Watched It Fade Away"
- Sherry Linkon & John Russo, CityLab, "With GM Job Cuts, Youngstown Faces a New 'Black Monday'"
- Leslie Barrett, WFMJ, "'Drive It Home' Campaign Continuing to Help Save GM Lordstown Plant"
- Good Jobs Nation website
- #Shame Campaign website
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music Archive: freemusicarchive.org)
- Lobo Loco, "Malte Junior - Hall"
- Breath Before the Plunge, "Black & Blue"
- Derek Clegg, "The Mountains Will Collide"
- Cletus Got Shot, “Charlie Jones”
Become a patron to
Unlock 68 exclusive posts
Connect via private message