GM RunSheets - version 0.8
Hey, today's the day I'm releasing version 0.8 to the wild (CC-BY 3.0)! The RunSheet design has changed quite a bit in the last two versions. I suggest you burn all previous copies. Romeo and Juliet, Act III http://asifproductions.com/daytrippers/RJ_runsheet.pdf The War of the Worlds http://asifproductions.com/daytrippers/WOTW_runsheet.pdf A Blank RunSheet http://asifproductions.com/daytrippers/RunSheet_v08.pdf What You're Looking At: On the left are the narrative elements (aka Objects): Events, Locations, and Characters. Each has space for a brief description, as well as a keyword (in the small rectangle). Beside that each has four circles. Numbers in these circles indicate Information, which may be Data possessed by that Character, or Data can be discovered in that Location, or Data in your notes (even encounter tables!) which pertain to that Object. Each Object also has three small checkboxes to represent hits, states, encounters, effects, etc. Or they can be ignored. Up to you. In the center column are the Conditionals. They are linked by lines to the Objects they may be triggered by/within. Each Conditional possesses a small checkbox to indicate whether or not it has been triggered. In the right column are the Results of those Conditionals being triggered. In the gameworld, this means the release of some Data or the initiation of some Action. Usually this Result is released or initiated by the Parent Object containing the triggered Conditional, but not always. A Result could trigger an Event, for instance. At the bottom of the RunSheet are a number of extra boxes with circular badges on them. In these boxes you may include Encounter Tables, Minor Characters, Additional Information or Supporting Notes, and refer to them by their badge number or letter. Stat Blocks and detailed descriptions are handled in a book or on a separate sheet of paper, but that gets demoted to a support position, as the RunSheet is the primary guide used while running the session. Much as I find that useful, I think it may be even more useful during prep, as a structural design tool. Even without running the adventures I've been concocting, I find that breaking an adventure down into individual Objects (in the programming sense), helps generate lots of potential drama without really thinking in terms of "plot". I'm looking for feedback and hoping more people will playtest it (or prep-test it)!