I know, I know - it seems pretty silly to name a dog for my Thank You of the week. But, by the same token, there are a number of reasons why you should be thankful to your pets - here are a few of my reasons.
- She helps calm me down when my anxiety gets too bad. I've considered having her registered as an emotional support animal, but I've learned more recently that these aren't actually licensed businesses - you're basically overpaying for a little slip of paper. Besides, she's too hyper and crazy to be "certified" anything, anyway - she's still a puppy after all.
- She reminds me to get a little exercise. Even though I don't get nearly as much exercise as I should, Porky's care requires that she goes out at least twice a day - most of the time 3-4 times. (Because, of course, she can't just do all her business at the same time... That would make things far too easy on her work-at-home petmom.) She also gets ridiculously happy about jumping on the trampoline, so I try to do that with her at least once a week. Doesn't always work out that way, but I try.
- She makes me laugh and smile. She's one of the most ridiculous dogs I've ever had the pleasure to know - partially because she acts more like a cat most of the time. She was raised with cats and chihuahuas, and her mother abandoned her pretty young - I think she was 2 1/2 weeks old when mom stopped feeding her? - so she doesn't seem to have the slightest idea of what she really is.
- She's warm AF. My body temperature runs pretty low, and I'm chronically cold. When I can convince her to cuddle with me (or to lay on my stomach to help with cramps), she's a lifesaver.
- She keeps me company. Whenever I can afford to, I try to send my partner to go see her family a few hours away. Porky stays here with me and keeps me company while Cuddle Buddy #1 is too far away. She's not as good of a cuddler as her other petmom, but at least she tries. (Sometimes.)
- She helps me cut back on my portion sizes. By suckering me out of some of my food on a daily basis. OK, so I usually end up grabbing a little extra so I can save her some, but pretty soon we'll both be going on a diet - whether we like it or not.
Do you have a special pet in your life that helps keep you on track? I'd love to hear about them in the comments! I'm not sure if you can do picture comments here, but if you can, please do! (If not, let me know & I'll edit this to include an e-mail to send them to.)