I NEED YOU TO READ THIS OKAY? COZ IT’S MY BIRTHDAY.*
MY WONDERFUL BEAUTIFUL PATRONS.
I will try to keep this as SHORT as possible. Maybe in short paragraphs with catchy headings. Yes, let’s do that! Onwards:
PATREON IS AN EXPERIMENT. Some people are using it super successfully so it’s not so much an experiment for them. MY PATREON IS DEFINITELY AN EXPERIMENT.
WAYS IN WHICH MY EXPERIMENT IS WORKING: YOU are here!!! All 16 of you so far! Pledging $72 per Thing! OMG. And I am so stoked to have you along on my little journey and so flattered that you like my art enough to want to give me some money to encourage me to keep making it! DOUBLE OMG. Thankyou! ❤️
WAYS IN WHICH MY EXPERIMENT IS NOT WORKING (QUITE AS PLANNED):
I originally launched my Patreon on a "per-Thing-release” basis. The idea being that every month or so I would release a Thing (most likely a home-recorded song demo) and you, my lovely patrons, would be charged your nominated amount (and also receive special bonuses).
Obviously, this hasn’t exactly happened.
WHAT HAS HAPPENED:
I have released 4 tracks as Paid Posts, and two more songs not charged to share with you guys things I am working on. This has all been great!
WHAT HASN’T HAPPENED AND WHY:
I haven’t been in contact with you guys anywhere near as much as I’d like to, and I haven’t released as much stuff as I had planned to. One reason for this is: Busy-ness, and Life, and skewed priorities. On the personal front, I have had some major life shifts, and also had some whack priorities for a while there - I was trying to put off my songwriting & creative pursuits until after I had completed my Estill (vocal technique/teaching training) exams and such. This had the pleasant side effect of making me totally depressed/crazy.
Once I realised this, I shifted my priorities to making my songwriting & creative practices PRIORITY NUMERO UNO, and lo & behold: I’m way fucking happier. Which also has the side effect that I actually do much more Estill/voice practice. Who’da thunk it?? A sense of artistic fulfilment & progress = Happiness = Motivation. Lesson learnt.
Primarily, apart from the above reasons, after I got my priorities in order, it is also because my personal & artistic standards have been lifting. I’ve been writing a lot of good shit, but my technological abilities are severely lacking, and I continued to feel guilty about the prospect of releasing recordings to you guys that I feel are not “worthy”. Hence not recording/releasing anything.
WHAT I DIDN’T WANT:
I didn’t want to put my Patreon on a per-month basis. I originally picked the per-Thing model because I felt guilty about the prospect of receiving money when I wasn’t actually actively releasing stuff every month and giving you stuff for your money. I felt that asking for money-for-nothing was uncool & probably you’d all get jack of paying one dollar a month for non-immediate returns, and bugger off and leave me feeling like a loser.
WHY I AM CONSIDERING CHANGING THIS APPROACH:
I know a couple of artists who have set up their Patreons on a per-month basis, with absolutely zero qualms about not releasing stuff on a regular basis. They’ve even set up their Goal points, for example, so that when they hit a certain amount per month, THEN they will release a track! I balked at the idea initially, because Fraud Police & Worthiness Police and Money Shame and all that sort of shit, but now I’m reconsidering what Patreon is really for, and why you are here.
To that end, I have talked privately via email with a couple of my patrons, and the message I have received is that you guys are here to support me as an artist in making my art, you’re not here to get something out of it.
THE PLAN FROM HEREON IN IS:
- I am going to change my Patreon to a monthly basis.
- I will be making some changes to my reward levels, because I want to focus my time on actually making progress with my music/art, rather than writing postcards and feeling guilty about not fulfilling more fancy rewards.
- I am going to make a monthly post to my patrons, NO MATTER WHAT, updating you on what I have been doing on all my artistic fronts. This may include sharing some demos of new songs I am working on & excited about! It may include pictures of drawings & paintings I have done! Or it may just be a blog about some of my thought processes & progress & plans. I really feel confident that this will happen because I am now in an excellent rhythm with my creative practices (e.g. writing at least one new song EVERY WEEK thanks to an accountability group I’m a part of), I’m doing a lot of exciting things and I’m excited to share that with the people who care, i.e. YOU. I think this really captures much better the Point of Patreon & why you guys are here, in that you want to be a part of my artistic process & hear about my progress, and hear/see stuff which is in the works, and I want to stay in touch with you; and all of that is much more likely to happen on a regular basis when I don’t have some weird pressure on myself about having to release something PRO QUALITY every single month.
WHAT I AM EXPECTING WILL HAPPEN:
Some of you, who are pledging at higher levels, will probably want to change the amount of your pledge, because I’m changing the rewards, and now it will be charged every month instead of every-now-and-again. That is totally fine. I would rather have 16 of you here pledging $1 each than have only like 2 people pledging $30. Obviously I’m not making a mint off of this Patreon; it’s a small & valuable addition to my regular income, but it’s more an important emotional validation as an artist that PEOPLE LIKE WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND IT’S OKAY TO KEEP DOING IT!!
WHAT I AM HOPING WILL HAPPEN:
- You won’t all decide you hate me and totally fuck off & never talk to me or listen to my music again
- You will CONTACT me if you have a huge issue with this change
- Maybe I’ll even get MORE patrons because I’ll be regularly posting about my process..?? Who knows!
- I will have ACTUAL PROPER COOL SHIT within a few months to send you all exclusively! Maybe even news & previews of a NEW RECORD! WAOW!
I NEED TO GO TO BED NOW AND THIS IS GETTING TOO LONG SO I AM SIGNING OFF:
I LOVE YOU
and I am so thankful that you are here and you enjoy what I do and you want to support me in that.
and I hope you will stick around.
and I hope that life is being kind to you and you see a pretty flower or cloud or puppy today.
and I hope you don’t die (for ages) and you get laid (if that’s the sort of thing you enjoy).
MUCH LOVE and please please please STAY IN TOUCH & COMMENT WITH YOUR FEEDBACK/THOUGHTS/RANDOM CAT PICTURES,
Tilley ❤️ ❤️ ❤️
*ok It’s not my birthday, but it was like a week ago, I’m 27 now, so it’s a good thing I’m not famous or it’d be possible I’d die within the next year and join The 27 Club. Although I guess it’s technically still possible that I’ll become famous and/or die.