- Get an x86-64 Linux box.
- Move $HOME/.q3a away to somewhere safe.
- Download this: https://icculus.org/~icculus/ioquake3-autoupdater-test-linux-amd64.tar.bz2
- Unpack it and run ./ioquake3.x86_64
- Play the demo version of Quake 3 Arena that (hopefully) pops up. When you're done, quit the program.
- Launch the game again. You'll see the main menu has, uh, changed. If you're stuck now, hit '~' and then type quit.
That's the gist of it.
Linux fixes are sitting in the GitHub PR: https://github.com/ioquake/ioq3/pull/290
Next up for this project is Windows support, and then getting the PR merged. Then we're off to other fun things!