I’m doing the #100DaysofUkuleleSongs project again - and I hope you’ll join me!
Back in 2015, I participated in #the100DayProject (an online global art project where you practice an action for 100 days and share it) by creating the #100DaysofUkuleleSongs project. I wanted to challenge myself to get better at playing ukulele and making ukulele videos - and it wound up kicking off this entire journey with Patreon and teaching on YouTube. Some of you may have found me through these videos. You can watch the full #100DaysofUkuleleSongs Playlist here. (ps I only made it to day 63)
I've decided to do the project again this year (and hopefully finish it this time!) - and I'm hoping you'll join me, so that we can support and inspire each other in developing and expanding our ukulele skills. This year's project starts on April 3, 2018.
What is #the100DayProject?
I heard about #the100DayProject on Instagram from artist friends who wanted to practice their craft - find our more here. The idea is to practice the same action for 100 days and share it - the focus is process and not product. People around the globe will be creating their own 100 Day Projects. What do you want to practice for 100 days? As a lifelong artist and believer in practicing your craft and following your passion, I’m excited for this opportunity to get back to focusing on my craft. The interesting thing is that you really don't know where the project will lead. And you can really start anytime - and if you miss a day, just pick it up and keep going. It's about developing your process.
My goals this time - a musical tour journal of sorts
In my first round of the project, my goals were to improve my ukulele skills, learn to record myself with higher quality video and audio, and build a practice of sharing my music daily. All of this gave me more confidence and understanding in arranging, video production, and helped me build my YouTube channel and share the versatility of ukulele.
This year, I will be traveling on tour with my album Ukulele Days for much of the project, so my mission is:
- to practice sharing music from wherever I am (making videos from changing locations)
- to incorporate whomever I’m with in the videos (more spontaneous collaborations)
- to learn what I need for making videos on the road (trying out travel-friendly recording and editing equipment)
I will attempt to post an ukulele video every day for 100 days on my instagram and YouTube channel. I will also keep going if I miss a day, and I'll appreciate your encouragement to keep going! Mostly I'm excited to get back to doing what I love, which is playing and sharing music! (My life has been so busy that I don't get to do this)
How to participate
Want to join me in sharing #100DaysofUkuleleSongs? Here's how:
1. Record yourself playing the ukulele - it's up to you what you want to share. Maybe you play the same song everyday, maybe you play one of my tutorials, or maybe you create your own arrangement. Maybe you learn how to use a microphone or recording software. What are you inspired to explore in your own process?
2. Upload the video - this project is mostly happening on instagram (search the hashtag for inspiration). If you're not on instagram, I'd suggest uploading to your own youtube channel. You can make the video unlisted - you'll still be able to share it, but people won't be able to search and find it.
3. Share and mark the day - find a way to label each day, and share online, in our Patron facebook group, or no need to share at all. If you want, use the hashtag #100DaysofUkuleleSongs.
I'm excited to see what comes of the project this time around, and excited to see which of you will join me and what you'll share! :)
Post any questions you may have below. Let's do this!