Katherine E. Young, a past poet laureate of Arlington County, Va. has called for work that will showcase the region's poetic voices, history, and identity. Plans call for a physical anthology of poetry, and a digital archive of spoken word and performance works.
Deadline is Dec. 15, 2019. A copy of the anthology will be provided to contributors whose works are accepted. Notification will take place by March 1, 2020.
Young is the author of the 2014 poetry collection "Day of the Border Guards," among others.
Unincorporated Arlington, Va. comprises approximately 26 square miles, of which one-quarter is federal land. The area is located across the Potomac River from the U.S. District of Columbia. For writers of military themes and topics, the area is notably home to the Pentagon, Reagan National Airport, and Arlington National Cemetery.
Those eligible to contribute, according to the call, include:
Anyone who lives, works, studies in, or has a significant connection (current or previous) to Arlington, Va., is eligible to contribute. Your submission will be evaluated for 1) literary merit, 2) cultural and linguistic diversity, and 3) a clear, demonstrable connection to Arlington. You need not be a current Arlington resident, but your work must in some way speak to Arlington’s distinctive identity or your personal experience of Arlington.
Submission guidelines include:
- Submit up to six poems or video poems.
- Include a cover letter than includes a 75-word author biography, and a sentence stating your connection to Arlington, Va.
- In the cases of multiple authorship for one poem or video, submit a group biography of no more than 150 words.
- If you are submitting previously published work, please specify in your cover letter when and where the piece was published. Include a statement confirming that all rights to the piece have reverted to you.
- If you are submitting work in translation, please include written permission from the original author granting you permission to translate their work in your cover letter. Include both an author and a translator biography in your submission.
For non-video submissions, e-mail all poems in a single .DOC or .RTF file attached to your cover letter: arlingtonanthology AT outlook DOT com. Make sure that author name appears on each page of your submission.
For video submissions, e-mail cover letter and a shareable link enabling access to your video work (preferred format: .MP4 or .M4V) to: arlingtonanthology AT outlook DOT com by Dec. 15, 2019.
This program is supported in part by Arlington County through the Arlington Cultural Affairs division of Arlington Economic Development and the Arlington Commission for the Arts. For more information, visit Arlington Arts.
You can receive exclusive early-bird notice of military-themed writing opportunities, events, and markets! Join our community of practice for as little as $1 a month! Details here: www.patreon.com/aimingcircle.