FOR THE CHICKEN:
2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 pinch black pepper
2 tbsp oil divided, plus more for frying
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
FOR THE SAUCE:
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons rice wine
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
10 tablespoons sugar
10 tablespoons white vinegar
zest of 1 orange
1 1/2 tablespoons ginger root minced
2 teaspoons garlic minced
1/2 tsp hot red chili pepper crushed
1. To make the sauce combine the 1 tablespoon cornstarch, rice wine, water, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, white vinegar and orange zest.
2. To coat the chicken add the egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil into a bowl and whisk together in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, add 1/2 cup corn starch and flour and mix well.
4. In a large frying pan or a wok, heat oil in a wok 375 degrees.
5. Dip chicken pieces in the egg mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture.
6. Fry the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp.
7. Transfer to a cooling rack and repeat with remaining chicken.
8. When you are done with the chicken, drain most of the oil from the pan (leave about a tablespoon).
9. Add the ginger, garlic and crushed red peppers, cooking for about 10 seconds.
10. Add the orange sauce and bring to boil.
11. Turn off the heat, and add cooked chicken and stir until well mixed.