John W. Campbell Award-winning novelist Mur Lafferty is the author of the six-volume Afterlife series, the Shambling Guides series, Playing for Keeps, Merry Christmas from the Heartbreakers, and Marco and the Red Granny. She’s been a podcaster since the beginnings of podcasting, starting in 2004, and she’s won the Podcast Peer Award and three Parsec Awards. Last year, she was inducted into the Podcaster Hall of Fame for shows such as GeekFu Action Grip, I Should Be Writing, and her writing business show Ditch Diggers. She holds an MFA in popular fiction. She’s also an avid pro-attendee of fiction conventions, and annually publishes a beginner’s guide to preparing for con season.
In today’s episode of MF GALAXY, Mur Lafferty discusses:
* What it is about novel proposals that is so profoundly unsatisfying she might switch to writing on-spec permanently
* The craft of revision, and her latest method for jumpstarting a stalled manuscript
* Cloning vs. inventing for character creation, and her favourite book to explorecharacter archetypes
* Why she’s hate-watching The Bachelorette
* Why she says that reality TV is populated by narcissists and extremist TV pundits are sociopaths
* Why working with an editor is like experiencing the five stages of grief, and
* What happened when an editor asked her to make a sex scene more graphic
Lafferty spoke with me on July 07, 2016 by Skype from her home in North Carolina.