Now to be clear, in the adventure Valklondar is just a skull that makes undead have disadvantage against you for a day and gives you nightmares, with a note mentioning a "last laugh." We can assume the poor sap was assassinated in revenge by Valklondar. But I wanted this to be the first skill challenge of the adventure.
So I changed Valklondar to be the name of the skull. He talks like Skeletor (natch) and references himself in the third-person. He is essentially a DM NPC who isn't all that useful but is meant to guide players through the plot -- Goldie, although he's also played by me, doesn't know much about what's going on either.
The challenge is essentially to make Valklondar laugh. Everyone role-played and rolled; I had Goldie roll for slapstick and rolled a natural 20, which of course meant he nailed it...by accident. Valklondar has since become a major character in the campaign. He's a floating, glowing green skull -- what's not to like?
Here's the skill challenge for your reference.
Skill Challenge: Make Valklondar Laugh
The skull cackles. "I am all that is left of Valklondar! Make Valklondar laugh and he will bestow a boon. Vex him and Valklondar will bestow a bane!"
The PCs must make the skull laugh. Valklondar humor is variable -- for the most part, it will laugh at any reasonable attempts at humor. It requires 4 successes before 3 failures.
- Strength (Athletics): You perform slapstick.
- Dexterity (Acrobatics): You perform slapstick.
- Intelligence (History): You tell a joke about a historical figure.
- Intelligence (Religion): You tell a joke about a religious figure.
- Wisdom (Insight): You crack wise about normal people.
- Wisdom (Animal Handling): You perform a stupid pet trick.
- Charisma (Deception): You are incredibly sarcastic.
- Charisma (Intimidate): You put down the skull.
- Charisma (Performance): You tell a really funny joke.
- Charisma (Persuasion): You try to get the skull to respond to a knock-knock joke.
"Brilliant! Your humor amuses Valklondar! You may carry Valklondar with you and he will make undead shiver in fear at your absurd humor!"
Valklondar can cast chill touch at will with a +5 range spell attack bonus. He will always choose undead as his primary target. When attacking, Valklondar cackles maniacally and shouts "cower in fear you fools before the power of Valklondar!" Each PC receives 25 experience points.
Valklondar's jaw drops open in horror. "That. Was. TERRIBLE! Valklondar shall haunt your dreams!" With that the jaw falls off the skull and it becomes inert.
Each PC must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC 13). On a failed save, the PCs suffers nightmares of the skull rushing at them, laughing coldly. It prevents the target from gaining any benefit from that rest that night and when the PC wakes up, it takes 3d6 psychic damage.
This article is ad-free thanks to my amazing patrons. Help us keep it that way by joining us on Patreon for just $1/month; follow me on Facebook, Google+, Linkedin, Pinterest, Twitter, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar. Thanks for reading!
- Cave Entrance: https://derpiboo.ru/852767
- Cave Interior: http://crystal-ice9201.deviantart.com/art/MLP-Cave-Vector-419742135