Part Two of Two Today's show is intended as a resource for listeners looking to share the ideas of alternative education and self directed learning with their friends and family, or with anyone wants to learn more about these subjects.
Blake Boles builds exciting alternatives to traditional school for self-directed young people. He runs the company Unschool Adventures and is the author of The Art of Self-Directed Learning, Better Than College, and College Without High School.
Blake and I discuss the path to more self directed learning
1. How to define the current school problem
2. Why Schooling is not the same as education
3. John Taylor Gatto's definition of real education
4. The attributes of an educated person
5. Self-Determination Theory and self directed learning
6. Promising developments in educational alternatives
7. How more people can gain access to alternative education
8. How parents improve their children's educational experience even if they can't take them out of public school
"An education is the capacity to author your own life instead of merely accepting the one handed to you." - Blake
[PODCAST] #544: Peter Gray (Part Three) – A Future of Self-Directed Education
[PODCAST] #101: Unschooling Liberty – The Halldorsons and the Unschool Bus
FULL PLAYLIST - The Underground History of American Education, by John Taylor Gatto
[PODCAST] #504: Unenclosed Children and Self-Directed Learning – With Kerry McDonald
[PODCAST] #378: An Introduction To Self-Directed Learning and Living For Teens (with Nick Hazelton)
[PODCAST] #511: James Davis – Forced Learning Is Too Dangerous
[PODCAST] #513: Building Self Directed Learning Communities (With Diane Murphy)
We do cool things! Thanks to your support.
School Sucks is one of the longest running liberty-minded podcasts on the web, and the only one completely devoted to the issue of education (versus public school and college). Your support keeps the show going and growing, which keeps us at the top of the options for education podcasts and leads to new people discovering our work.
Please bookmark and use this link for your Amazon shopping: Shop With Us