Let's get going with Day 2
Publishing requires you to know, execute and manage a variety of different things. It's difficult work. Here's a few reasons why publishing may present a challenge:
· You may want all the bells and whistles on your book, but you may not have the funds to use a printer that can make it possible
· Even a small print run can be expensive. There’s a lot of cash up front, especially with offset printing
· You may get a higher percentage of the profit but… there has to be a profit! You have to figure out how to get your stuff out there and sold
· No marketing from a big publisher – though I hear that smaller works don’t usually get that much attention from a publisher anyway. So you’re going to have to find your own marketing groove either way
· Your book is widely distributed without you having to ship/travel to deliver it yourself
· You have to store your books, which is fine until you order more than 100 of more than two or so titles… then it starts to become a space hog
I can tell you that a good amount of these factors are fixed with crowdfunding. Marketing is its own beast as well as distribution. We’ll talk about those later on.
Tomorrow's topic: Branding your publishing house
Until then, are there any topics you'd like to cover? Questions about publishing you want answered? Let me know in the comments!