Hope you are doing well and experiencing ease and perhaps a little good excitement as well!
I have been traveling down the road of daily poetry and ink drawing challenges. Last few days I have been leaving those tasks for the end of the day. Not expecting them not to be there, but as a way to choose what from the day I wish to share through word and image. If you want to see them, you can move through my FB album here.
On top of that, I have been working on a new art spread that uses a chalkboard effect to show a top ten of my favorite music. The application of black gesso and use of watercolor pencils was easy, reminded me of hot afternoons in sixth grade just waiting down those final days until we were all 7th graders.
It was the face (again!) that tripped me up. Proportion of features, creating "realistic" hair and skin doesn't come naturally to me. So, I wanted to share a couple of my process pictures and my take aways so far.
The spread sat like this for a few days. I felt frustrated, upset that I had no experience whatsoever in creating a "cute" or "perfect" sideways face, nor a full face. I kept looking at everyone else's finished spreads and they all looked professionally done by artists who actually earn money through their paintings.
I am not there..YET.
I picked up my brush again today. My goal was to find a working (for now) flesh tone I liked, put a few extra layers of gesso on the face, and brighten up the hair. So I started the lesson video and got about 15 minutes in before I realized I didn't know which areas of my face I wanted to add shadow to, much less what I wanted for the flesh tone.
Back to the drawing board. I chose a mixture of copper and white to start and started. My picture looked a bit like the instructor's image, so I stopped the tape to "scrub in" a slightly lighter tone in with the shaded areas.
Needed more mixed copper and white, so I mixed it up. Not the same tone as before! But I worked with it back and forth until I called it quits for the skin. Then I thought that her eye and lips were way to small, so I took out my trusty gesso and ended up like this:
I know. No where CLOSE to perfection. But, I picked up my brushes and paint and told Resistance to wait outside. There are so many areas on this painting that I am not happy with. But I had started working on her. That is the point of today's post.
I started. Then stopped for today in order to gather more inspiration for tomorrow on where to take it next. It's the PROCESS that keeps me going, not the product (although I love when other people like it as well!).
I have been busy working on a collaborative project with another creative that has been a wonderful journey so far. I'm keeping under wraps for now, but keep an eye open for updates.
Also, I got an idea for an experiment I would like to try on Instagram in the coming weeks that I saw on Rachael Rice's account. Not sure yet on all the details, but it will probably be after I finish October's #octopowrimo and #inktober challenges.
Always interested in conversation about your process and lessons learned. Feel free to start them here in the comments section.