For a while now I've been planning on keeping Peculiar Case of the Luminous Eye (a novella all patrons can currently read here) in my back pocket. I didn't want to publish it until I was done editing Grim Curio.
After some consideration, I've decided to go ahead a start moving forward with publishing Peculiar Case.
Why the change of heart? When I made my original plan, I had a 6 month editing timeline for Grim Curio. Well, those six months have passed and I'm still working on it, and Peculiar Case is burning a hole in my back pocket. I may as well have it out there being read than gathering dust, so I'm going to make that happen.
I don't have a release date for Peculiar Case yet, but I've started some preliminary work, and I intend on sharing the process with you every step of the way.
Here's my basic to do list to get this book published:
- Find the best title - I like the working title, but I'm not convinced it's the best it can be. I've already started brainstorming new titles, and I'll share the list of possible titles with you soon.
- Generate a cover design packet - I've been using a working cover when I talk about peculiar case, but it's not professional quality. So I need to put together a design packet to hand off to professional designers.
- Get professional editing - I feel like what we have on patreon is pretty great, but I'd like a professional to offer their advice before I push the publish button.
- Format for digital and print - It needs to look right, and the only way to do that is to format it. I should be able to do this pretty quickly once the other steps are done.
- Look into audiobook? - I don't really know what's possible in terms of creating an audiobook, but I'm going to see what I can do with the resources I have.
There it is. I've just got the ball rolling with titles and thinking about cover designs. I'm hoping to have the budget to fund the actual design and editing within the next two months or so, but I still need to price it out. Either way, some time soon you'll be able to share Peculiar Case with your friends!
Check back soon for a post on generating title ideas. See you then.