It turns out on the 28th April 2019 my current employer will be terminating my employment along with 600 other people. I work in a factory as an Engineer and this is unfortunately the third factory to close within my area, which obviously makes it very difficult to find work now. What makes this worse is because I only started last September I am not entitled to any kind of redundancy. So after the termination I am on my own.
There are currently some jobs available working night shift but I unfortunately suffer with IBS which makes working nights for me extremely difficult, especially when they are all 12 hour shifts. This means if I end up working nights I might end up having to terminate working on the modification, which I certainly don't want and I'm pretty sure no one else wants too.
What options do I have?
- Well, the first and worst is to find a night shift job, finish up working on the modification and hope I can at some point in the future find a dayshift job and resume where I left. This could take months or even years. It initially took me 2 years to get off nightshift onto dayshift!
- The second is to go self employed and sub contract. Unfortunately the company I previously sub contracted for worked in the factories that are closing. This means they are struggling to find work for the guys they currently employ, let alone extra work for contractors. The time needed to find extra work for myself would certainly take up any time I have to work on the modification.
- The third and best possible outcome I could hope for would be to work full time in game dev. That means finding a way to earn enough money to pay the bills whilst working on this modification and anything else I am able to do.
Obviously for the third option I need your help. If I can earn enough money through Patreon to sustain me and my family, i.e. pay the bills and put food on the table, I won't need to find a new job, at least for the foreseeable future.
What will this mean for everyone else?
- At least 40 hours per week working on game dev related projects, which will be mainly this modification.
- A guaranteed release of AWoIaF for Bannerlord.
- Possible YouTube updates of any work I do and information on the modification from myself. Including monthly updates of progress on the modification etc.
- Time to do extras like update the webpage and keep the wiki upto date.
As you can see from the picture above, there are currently 195,499 subscribers on Steam with a total unique 266,029 subs. 36,429 downloads of the current version on ModDB with a total of 692,907 downloads on ModDb over the lifetime of the modification.
That's well over 200k people downloading the modification at this moment! If just 10% of these were to donate £1 a year, or just 1% to donate £1 monthly, that would be enough to allow me to work full time.
I have up until the 28th of next month to decide what I need to do, so if you want a bigger and better modification to play and if you want AWoIaF for Bannerlord then you can help by either signing up to my Patreon, asking your friends to do so too and/or sharing this post on your social media platforms :). The more I can earn here the more I can work on the modification and the longer I wont need to go out and spend time looking for Engineering work.
My other project?
I have also been working on a new project which is unrelated to the modification. This I am hoping to be a commercial project which I can sell in the future. Make no mistake though that if the majority of my wage is earnt here then the majority of my time will be spent on the modification and even if my other project sells well, as long as people are donating here I will always work on and update whichever project this Patreon supports.
I am also trying to figure out a way to give free steam keys to those that have donated over a certain amount if/when I release my other project, though I will need to work that out at some point in the future.
People can make good money from YouTube videos and other media on the internet so I don't think it's unrealistic of me to think I can earn a living doing this.
Another way to donate would be to think how much you would pay for this mod if it was a full standalone game. Deduct the amount you spent on Warband, because you need that to play it, then donate me the difference. Donating through Paypal means I get 100% of the funds. Lastly, remember you are paying for the time I have spent creating the modification and other work involved, i.e. maintaining the wiki and forums etc, not for the product itself.
As always thanks for your support and I look forward to hearing your responses.