One of my Healthy thru the Holidays guests shared that Thanksgiving has become a challenge because her younger family members are vegetarian, vegan and have all kinds of eating challenges and won’t eat the traditional Thanksgiving dishes she cooks.
My solution: serve a diverse number of low ingredient vegetarian and vegan appetizers, snacks, side dishes and sweet treats and your “woke” relatives will have plenty of food to eat.
In the spirit of the holidays my gift to you sharing vegan recipes that will rock your Thanksgiving and leave your guests with complex dietary needs feeling just as cared for as the omnivores at the table.
Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup
VEGAN SOUP RECIPE
- 4-1/2 cups butternut squash halved, seeds removed, roughly cubed (2 medium butternut squash)
- 1 cup sweet potatoes peeled, roughly cubed (1 medium)
- 1 medium red onion peeled, roughly diced
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pick your Garnish:
- drizzle coconut milk
- tri-colored quinoa
- pumpkin seeds
- Cut butternut squash, sweet potatoes and red onion into one inch cubes.
- Place veggies, including garlic, into a roasting pan and coat lightly with liquified coconut oil.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg, pink Himalayan Salt and toss veggies until they are evenly coated with spices.
- Roast the veggies at 400˚ for 15-20 minutes. (or, until veggies have a slight hint of brown)
- Pour coconut milk, veggie broth a little nutmeg salt and pepper into your slow cooker and turn on high.
- When butternut squash and sweet potato are done, add the roasted veggies into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours, until soft and cooked through.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. (Or, allow cooked butternut squash and sweet potatoes to cool. Then place in a blender and puree until smooth.)
- Season to taste with salt, black pepper and garnish with more coconut milk and pumpkin seeds, if you like.
You’ve got the recipe! Please cook it and share your photos on social media with and tag #rhythmtherapyj9 #healthythrutheholidaysj9