COSPLAY INFORMATION (PARTICIPANTS)
Cosplay Competition Information
Craftsmanship is a formal cosplay contest where participants are judged on craftsmanship (design, construction, execution, and general presentation of costume). Registration IS required. Craftsmanship is judged BEFORE the Masquerade. Awards presented at Masquerade. Winners are invited to parade across the stage after Performance section of Masquerade.
Craftsmanship and Performance Registration
Craftsmanship and Performance participants MUST register. You can register any time Friday and up till Saturday at Noon.You will be asked to fill out a Cosplay Registration/Judging Form. Participants may only compete in one category and one skill level. Participants may compete up, but cannot compete down. Skill level ultimately is left up to the participant. These are just guidelines, the participant knows best their skill level, but we ask participants to please be honest when choosing skill level.
Junior: Any participant 13 years old or under of any skill level.
Adult Novice: Has never competed before or has not won any awards at a convention or has made 3 costumes or less.
Adult Journeyman: Has won up to 3 awards at a convention or has made 5 costumes or less.
Adult Master: Has won up to 5 awards at a convention or has made 6 costumes or more.
Craftsmanship and Performance Judging is points based. Judging has three areas: Technical, Artistry, and Person Opinion. There is a maximum of 5 points in each category (1=Poor, 2=Fair, 3=Good, 4=Great, 5=Excellent), a maximum of 15 per judge. Total from all judges will be used to determine winner. Craftsmanship awards are based on the design, construction, execution, and general presentation of your costume. Performance awards are based on artistic presentation, technical skills, charisma, and overall performance.
• All participants must be attending members of convention and will need to provide their badge at registration.
• Please don't wear or use any messy substances that might ruin the costume of another contestant. If you are wearing body paint or makeup, please make sure it will not come off in casual contact with others.
• Costumes must be self-contained. Connections to electrical sockets will not be available.
• You may not wear a costume that has previously won any awards at any convention. This allows people who have not won before a chance at winning an award.
• Costumes purchased or rented from a costume shop, designer direct, eBay, Yahoo Auctions, Cospa, or any other store-bought costumes are prohibited and will negate your eligibility (or your group’s eligibility, even if you are the only one in the group with a disqualified costume).
o Exception 1: The costume is a “found item” costume, which were constructed by collecting various pieces from stores and putting them together (with or without sewing) to make a costume.
o Exception 2: The costume creator is present (the creator wins, not the model).
o Exception 3: Junior competitors
• You MUST have adequate reference images. If you do not, you cannot be judged properly on craftsmanship. Participants with no references will receive a 0 for Technical automatically when being judged.