Title image from the new Shenmue III interview by Team Yu & Shenmue Dojo (see the Community News section).
Welcome to our round-up of selected news bites from over the last week.
- [PRS Post] SEGA Fes 2019: Sega's annual games event, was held in Tokyo over the weekend. While there were no major Shenmue announcements made, it did feature in the opening presentation by Sega CEO Hajime Satomi on a slide of games that celebrate the 20th anniversary of their release in Japan this year:
In addition, the voice and motion actor for Iwao Hazuki in Shenmue, Hiroshi Fujioka, made a stage appearance as Segata Sanshiro. He was joined to Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, composer of Shenmue's main theme, and they sang the Segata Sanshiro anthem! Link to post
- Cédric Biscay paid a visit to Yu Suzuki at is development studio in Tokyo during the week and tweeted a photo of the pair holding the Guinness World Record certificates from the Shenmue III Kickstarter (which were: fastest $1 million pledged for a crowdfunded video game & most money pledged for a Kickstarter video game).
- [PRS Post] Community Interview: a great write-up of a new Shenmue 3 interview with Yu Suzuki has been released by Team Yu & Shenmue Dojo from the recent MAGIC 2019 event. In the interview, Yu reveals a "nod" to the feel of the previous games in the upcoming game that fans had been requesting. Link to post.
- [PRS Post] Analysis: from playing Shenmue II, one might gain the impression that Joy is related to Master Chen, from certain conversations in which she refers to him as "Uncle Chen". But does she mean this literally? Link to article.
- If you're looking for a guide on how to apply various community mods to Shenmue I & II on PC, check Shenmue Dojo's video on how to do exactly that. Link to video
- There is a constant stream of wonderful fan art, and this week we've picked out this illustration of Fang Mei by ないき@シェンム ーⅢ 待機 via Twitter
- Richard Cartlidge has made a nice recreation of that catchy tune we all love, the Tomato Convenience Store song, which you can listen to here. Check out his account on Twitter for other Shenmue song recreations.
Dates to Watch
- April 3 is Shenmue Day, the monthly Twitter event where fans come together to promote Shenmue with tweets and retweets. Visit TeamYu for more information.
- June 11 – June 13, 2019: E3 2019, the premier trade event for the video game industry. What plans does Deep Silver have in store for Shenmue III?
- August 20 – August 24, 2019: Gamescom 2019. a trade fair for video games held annually in Cologne. The first day is trade/media only.
- August 27, 2019: the official release date of Shenmue III.
- (TBD): The Shenmue Documentary release date has been pushed back from its original June 2019 date. New date to be announced.