We've been running this Patreon project for about six months now, and we couldn't be happier with the results. It's been so amazing to get this much support from this many of you, and you're helping us do things we wouldn't have been able to do before.
Since we just hit another milestone and August was a huge month for the show, we wanted to take a second and update everyone on where we are and what we're doing next. Let's start with the general State of the Show:
- Headgum! We joined the Headgum podcast network in August and so far it's been great! We've already seen our listenership grow, and we're hoping that the network will help us get cool guest hosts and do more live shows. We only got on their radar because you guys were talking us up - we wouldn't be here if it weren't for you!
- We did a live show! We had a great turnout at our first live show at the Tattooed Mom in Philadelphia PA - we even got to meet a few of you! We want to do more of these in different places so we can see more of you, and we'll keep you posted as we go.
- We're going to get a merch store going! Quite a few of you have asked us about T-shirts and other things, and now that we've hit our $250/month Patreon stretch goal we're going to be able to make this happen. We're still not sure how long it will take to get things up and running, but right now we're talking about the kinds of things we want to offer, what we can design on our own, and what we'd like to contract a designer or artist to do. If you have requests, now is the time! And if you're artistically inclined and you'd like to work with us, shoot us an email at [email protected]. Once we have everything figured out, people who were supporting the show as of September 2 will all be able to get something for free as a thank you!
- We've got some great episodes coming up! In September, Craig will be reading through the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In October, we're planning to fill the month with another batch of spooky Halloween-themed episodes. We'll hit episode 150 before the end of the year, which means we'll be wrapping up everyone's favorite BDSM trilogy. And we've got a few big names on our patron request list, including Andy Weir's The Martian and Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights.
And for patrons, here's a quick look at how your money is helping us out!
- Buying books. This is probably where the biggest chunk of the money has gone. We can borrow books but just as you guys support us, we like to try and support the authors of the books we read by buying things whenever we can. To date, we've also recorded more than a dozen episodes based on books suggested by supporters in our $5/month tier.
- Paying for hosting. We use Squarespace to make our site look pretty, and soon your cash will help us keep our merch store up too.
- New equipment. We're really proud of the way our show sounds, and we take pains while recording and editing to make the listening experience as good as it can possibly be.
Thanks to all of you, we were both able to purchase microphone upgrades, and we bought a third microphone and stand that we can send to guest hosts when we have them on. Audio quality on our guest episodes has historically been kind of all over the place, and we want those shows to be just as listenable as our "normal" ones.
We sat down in January to talk about ways to grow and improve the show in 2015, and thanks to your support we had checked off every single item on the list by mid-June. We've done a bunch of stuff that wasn't even on the list. And we're hoping that the rest of the year is even better - we have a ton of fun making this show for you, and hearing from all of you makes our day every time it happens.
Try to be happy,
Andrew and Craig